The University regulations allow you to add or drop optional modules from your record.

View course modules

Semester credit points

  • Full-Time Undergraduate Courses

    The normal workload for a full-time undergraduate course of study in the standard academic year (comprising semester one and semester two) is 120 credit points.

  • Part-Time Undergraduate Courses

    Some Undergraduate part-time courses allow flexibility in the number of modules which may be studied each year.

    The maximum part-time study load is 90 credits in a two semester year (or 135 in a full calendar year) with 45 credits per semester, except in the intensive summer semester where 20 credits may be taken.

  • Postgraduate Courses

    Masters courses usually have a total of 180 credit points.

    Full time Masters courses are completed in one calendar year, with 60 credit points being accumulated in each of the three semesters.

    Postgraduate Certificate courses represent 60 credit points and Postgraduate Diploma courses represent 120 credit points.

Failure to notify registry of amendments, errors or omissions

Failure to notify registry of amendments, errors or omissions to your module record

The Registry Office will not make any additions to the modules on which you are enrolled after the first two weeks in semester one or to any second semester modules after the end of the second week of the second semester.

You may still drop modules after that date but you cannot add modules. Full-time students who drop modules will become part-time which may affect their financial support entitlement.

If you are a part-time student you should note that you will not obtain a refund for modules which you drop, unless you notify the Registry Office within two weeks of the start of the semester.

The consequence of not informing the Registry Office of missing or additional modules by the deadlines is that you will not be able to sit examinations or get credit in the current academic year.

You can still attend classes but you will be required to re-enrol in the next academic year if you want credit for the module. If you are a part-time student you will have to pay for the modules again, even if you failed to claim a refund within the time permitted.

If you are enrolled in the wrong semester for a module which is offered in two semesters you may get credit for the module provided your Course/Subject Director and modules co-ordinator are prepared to make special arrangements for any examination required and for recording your marks.