In-Sessional English Language Support
Ulster University offers in-sessional English language support to international students. Here, you will find out information on academic workshops and one-to-one consultations.
Online In-Sessional English Language support
CELT offers a range of online English language workshops and one-to-one consultations for international students throughout the academic year.
The aim is meaningful, practical support.
The focus is on the enhancement and mastery of academic English language skills.
These sessions are voluntary and are offered at no extra cost to Ulster students.
As freestanding lessons, students can sign up to as many or few workshops as they wish. Lessons are offered at different times during the week to accommodate students’ timetables.
If you feel you can improve your use of English at university, you are very welcome to join a workshop and engage in the friendly learning process that CELT provides.
You are also warmly invited to arrange a one-to-one online consultation with a CELT tutor, where the focus will be entirely on your English and your work.
Academic Writing Workshops
- What is an academic essay? Features of academic writing/text types/genres
- Academic style and register
- The process of writing academic essays: Understanding essay titles, planning an essay and organising notes
- Building a paragraph including topic sentences
- Writing introductions and conclusions Thesis statements
- Note-taking, paraphrasing and summarising
- Text Cohesion and Signposting
- Using sources and referencing
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Critical thinking
Grammar and Accuracy Workshops
- Passive and active voice
- Cautious language: models, generalising, possibility
- Verbs of reference and verb tenses
- Complex and compound sentence structures
Presentation Skills Workshops
- The structure and signposting language in a presentation
- Language and visuals including parallelism
- Pronunciation/intonation/pacing and pausing
- Practicing your presentation and obtaining feedback
Academic Vocabulary Workshops
- Strategies for vocabulary learning
- Academic Vocabulary: Nouns and Adjectives
- Academic Vocabulary: Verbs and Adverbs
- Word formation/prefixes and suffixes
Online Consultations Booking
Centre for English Language Teaching (CELT)
CELT offers free, online one-to-one academic consultations for non-native speakers of English who are registered students at Ulster University.
These are friendly and supportive sessions and are held during Semesters 1 and 2 (September – December; January – May).
The main purpose is to identify and fix problems that may occur frequently in the student’s writing.
During your 30-minute online session, the Teaching Fellow will provide you with direct specific support. For example, the Teaching Fellow may look at your structure, paragraphs, coherence, lexical skills or any other areas of concern.
We strongly advise you to make a one-to-one appointment well in advance to avoid disappointment.
All consultations are for 30 minutes and you will receive a reply confirming your time and the name of the Teaching Fellow you have selected to meet.
Please bear in mind that all classes and consultations are UK time, although one-to-one consultations will show up in your emails in the local time zone from where the booking was made.
Consultations are limited to one per student per week.