Visas and Immigration

Find out whether you need a visa to study in the UK, which type of visa you need and how to apply for one.

Our aim is to help you transition from your home country to your life in Northern Ireland and help you make the most of your time at Ulster.

We are here to offer support and advice on UK student visas and post-study options as well as provide informed and supportive referral services for any other issues you may have.


We endeavour to keep our information up-to-date with UKVI immigration rules.

The information on our website is correct and accurate at the time of publication.

Please refer to UKVI website and Student and Child Student guidance for the most up-to-date and accurate UK visa and immigration information.

In this section

Do I need a visa?

Find out which is the appropriate UK visa for you.

Applying for your Student visa

Find out more about applying for a Student visa.

Your Short-Term Student visa

A Short-term Student visa is suitable for you if you intend to study for a maximum of 6 months at Ulster University.

I may apply for immigration permission when I arrive in the UK

If you are a non-visa national, you may choose to apply for entry clearance as a Short-term Student when you arrive in the UK.

Your Tier 4 visa

Your Tier 4 visa is an important document that allows you to remain within the UK whilst you study at Ulster University. Please take a few minutes to read the relevant information below.

Bringing your family

Find out whether you are entitled to bring your family members with you to the UK.