You must check if you need a UK visa before you travel to study in the UK.

You must apply for a:

  • Study visa - if you will study in the UK for more than 6 months
  • Specific visa - if you plan to study in the UK for 6 months or less. The visa or immigration permission will be determined by your nationality and/or your specific travel documents.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the correct visa before you travel to the UK.

  • Information for EU/EEA/Swiss Nationals

    If you entered the UK on or before 31 December 2020

    If you are a national of an EU/EEA country, or Switzerland, and you entered the UK on or before 31 December 2020, you may live, work or study in the UK until 30 June 2021.

    If you wish to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021, you must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme .  The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.  There is no fee for applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

    If you enter the UK on or after 1 January 2021

    From 1 January 2021, you need immigration permission to enter the UK.

    If you will study in the UK for:

    • more than 6 months - you must apply for a student visa before you travel to the UK.
    • 6 months or less - you may request permission to enter the UK as a Standard Visitor when you go through immigration control at the UK border.

In this section

Applying for your Student visa

Find out more about applying for a Student visa.

Your Standard Visitor permission

Standard Visitor permission is suitable for you if you intend to study for a maximum of 6 months at Ulster University.

Immigration permission at the UK border

If you are a non-visa national, you may choose to apply for permission to enter as a Standard Visitor at the UK border.