Global Buddy Scheme
Our Global Buddy scheme is a mentoring scheme where we match new international students to existing Ulster students.
What is it?
Our Global Buddy scheme is a mentoring scheme where we match new international students to existing Ulster students. We understand that coming to live in a new country is very exciting, but it can also be stressful, and it may take time for our international students to adapt to their new surroundings. This scheme will help support this transition.
Who can apply?
- New International students can join the scheme to be matched to a buddy (Mentee)
- Existing Ulster students can volunteer to become a global buddy (Mentor)
How does it work?
Global buddies will be required to complete an online application. We then will match each mentee with a mentor according to similar preferences or special requests.
Mentors will introduce themselves to their Mentee prior to the start of Semester and they will be provided with a brief training session.
A welcome event will be organised for each campus where everyone can meet in person for the first time to become acquainted. We recommend that buddies make regular contact each other and this can be via telephone, social media, e-mail or in person whichever the buddy prefers.
Matching will begin a month before the start of each Semester.
How long does it last?
The Global Buddy Scheme will last for one Semester only.
Global Buddies are expected to spend at least 1- 2 hours a week with their buddy’s and meet up in person every 2 weeks.
What do past buddies say?
- It was a great opportunity to interact with international students. I'm glad I could have been a helpful resource to someone who needed help. Jessica Butler, Belfast Campus
- Seeing my buddy’s confidence and language skills increase was rewarding and we became great friends which was a bonus. We learned phrases from each other’s languages, which made the experience even more interesting and fun. Anna Forte, Coleraine Campus
- I was fortunate to be paired with a buddy who I had a lot in common with as we came from a similar social and cultural background. Zeina Karara, Belfast Campus
- Meeting my buddy and hanging out with their friends, encouraged me to become involved in student union activities which helped my transition into Ulster life. Jessica Yong, Magee Campus
- The scheme has been great, especially when I did not know how to buy or how to do something. I received great tips of places to go and visit which was useful and I never felt alone at Ulster. Jana Alscherova, Coleraine Campus
- I learned some of the local ways and customs which I enjoyed. Charline Pereira, Belfast Campus
Global Buddy - Mentee
Are you a new International Student arriving this September? Would you like to be put in contact with a current student at Ulster?
Receive tips and knowledge about campus life.
Closing Date: 28 August 2020
Global Buddy - Mentor
Are you a current student at Ulster?
Are you familiar with the university and the local area?
Share your knowledge with an International student who is new to Ulster and arriving this September.
Closing Date: 7 August 2020
If you have any questions or need any additional information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.