Pre-sessional English Language and Study Skills Courses are essential for students who have a conditional offer from Ulster University, but who have not yet met the English language requirements of their chosen degree programme.
Students who have already met or exceeded the minimum English language requirements and hold an unconditional offer for their chosen degree programme, may also find a period of pre-sessional preparation highly beneficial.
With an intense focus on the English of their own subject of future study, and the mastering of specific skills for the completion of academic tasks, the 7-week Pre-sessional Standard course is highly recommended for students seeking to be as well prepared as possible for study at Ulster University.
Each pre-sessional course requires full-time attendance, 5 days a week, in addition to independent study time. Ulster University’s own Centre for English Language Teaching (CELT) is responsible for designing and delivering your course.
The CELT team have a wealth of experience in helping international students succeed. Students are guided and supported through their pre-sessional courses by caring, expert teachers
Selecting a course
There are two pre-sessional English language courses available. The length of the course you will need to study depends on your current level of English and the entry requirements of your chosen degree.
Degree entry requirement is *UKVI IELTS 6.0 (Academic) overall (with no band score less than 5.5)
|Pre-sessional course||Your current overall IELTS score or equivalent||Course dates (2022)||Tuition fee||Application closing date (2022)|
|12 weeks||5.0 (Only 1 band score acceptable at 4.5)||16 June - 9 Sept||£2,540||6 May 2022|
|7 weeks||5.5 (Only 1 band score acceptable at 5.0)||20 July - 9 Sept||£1,210||3 June 2022|
If you require a student visa you must take an IELTS for UKVI (Academic) or equivalent test at an approved UKVI centre only.
- IELTS for UKVI
- LanguageCert International SELT
- PTE Academic UKVI
- Trinity College London: 'Secure English Language Tests for UKVI' - Integrated Skills in English (ISE)
|Day||Morning (BST)||Afternoon (BST)||Students own time|
|Monday||Reading and Writing||Listening and Speaking||Guided independent study|
|Tuesday||Reading and Writing||Listening and Speaking||Guided independent study|
|Wednesday||Reading and Writing||Portfolio Development||Guided independent study|
|Thursday||Reading and Writing||Seminar Skills||Guided independent study|
|Friday||Review and Tutorials||Guided independent study|
Note: timetable may be subject to change.
Assessment and completion
- You will be assessed by both tests and coursework (a portfolio of your work throughout the programme)
- All students will take the same assessments during the final weeks of the Pre-sessional course.
- Students on the 12-week programme will have informal assessment throughout the course on grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation and reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
- The ongoing formative assessments will highlight your progress as well as the areas you need to improve.
- In addition to completing all required tasks, to successfully pass the pre-sessional, you must also have a minimum 90% attendance rate and your exit language level must meet the entry requirements for your chosen programme of study at Ulster.
- At the end of your studies, a report is sent to your Course Director.