Leave of Absence
Taking a leave of absence means taking an authorised temporary break from your studies, usually for one calendar year which can then be extended to a maximum of two consecutive years.
You may decide to take a leave of absence if:
- You have a documented medical or personal reason that’s making it hard for you to engage with and concentrate on your studies.
- You’re changing from one course to another and restarting your studies the following academic year.
- You have financial or motivational reasons such as family or work commitments.
Take a leave of absence: step-by-step
If you are thinking about taking a leave of absence, you must submit an online Leave of Absence application as soon as you stop engaging with your studies to ensure your student record is managed correctly and you are not overpaying tuition fees.
Retrospective requests for leave of absence can have an impact on your student finance and are not normally considered by the university unless you extenuating circumstances that are evidenced by a medical professional.
Please follow these steps:
- Read the Ulster University Deregistration Policy
- Check the Tuition Fee Liability Policy to understand the tuition fees you owe
- Arrange to meet with your Course Director to discuss your reasons and options
- Talk to Student Wellbeing as they can also provide you with further support and advice
- Submit an online Leave of Absence application
- Contact your relevant Funding Body (such as SFNI) to advise that you are taking a Leave of Absence. See our Funding Queries section for more information around how this may affect you financially.
PhD researchers must submit a leave of absence request using PhD Manager.
Returning from Leave of Absence in Semester 2
If you intend to return from your leave of absence in Semester 2, please contact your campus Registry Office/Student Services HQ. This is important to ensure your student record is up-to-date and reflects your correct tuition fee.
If you are in receipt of Student Finance, please contact your campus Registry Office/Student Services HQ to complete a resumption of study request to activate your student finance.