Taking a leave of absence means taking an authorised temporary break from your studies, usually for one calendar year which can then be extended to a maximum of two consecutive years.

You may decide to take a leave of absence if:

Take a leave of absence: step-by-step

If you are thinking about taking a leave of absence, please follow these steps:

PhD researchers must submit a leave of absence request using PhD Manager.

Returning from Leave of Absence in Semester 2

If you intend to return from your leave of absence in Semester 2, please contact your campus Registry Office. This is important to ensure your student record is up-to-date and reflects your correct tuition fee. If you are in receipt of Student Finance, please contact your campus Registry Office to complete a resumption of study request to activate your student finance.

For Retrospective Requests, please note that these requests are not normally considered and are only approved where there is evidence of clear extenuating circumstances.

If the request is retrospective, please upload all evidence at the time of submitting the request.

Notification of Absence (3+ days)

If you are absent from the University or unable to study for more than 3 days for medical or personal reasons then you should complete this form and submit it to your Course/Subject Director by the 5th working day.

For absences of longer than one week a medical certificate or other evidence is required and must be attached.

For periods of less than 5 days supporting documentation should be attached unless there are clear reasons why this is not available.

If no documentation is available you should give your own explanation.

You should retain two copies of this form, one for your own records and one to be submitted should you wish this absence to be considered as an extenuating circumstance at a later stage along with the tear off slip confirming receipt.

If you are unable to hand in coursework or attend for examination you should, in addition, complete an EC1 form.

Deregistration Policy

Deregistration is the term given to a break in study either via Leave of Absence or Complete Withdrawal.

Deregistration can only take place via the student portal if you have already registered as a new or returning student.

If you have not registered for the current year and wish to withdraw or take a leave of absence, simply fill in a Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form in consultation with your Course Director.

If you feel you would like to deregister due to difficulties you are having with your studies or University life in general or if you need to deregister for any other reason you should initially speak to your Course Director.

Student Wellbeing can also provide further advice and support.

Further information on deregistration