How will my withdrawal / leave of absence affect the tuition fee I need to pay?
Should you decide to withdraw or take a leave of absence from your programme of study, our Tuition Fee Liability Policy provides important information in relation to the amount of tuition fees charged.
For your convenience, key dates in the 2020/21 academic year and their tuition fee implications have been outlined below.
Key dates in Academic Year 2020/21
Please select the relevant link below to find out more about how your withdrawal/leave of absence date will determine the amount of tuition fees charged. The only exception is that new students with an intake year of 2020/21 will not be liable for any tuition fees for that academic year if they withdraw within 14 days of completing registration.
1. Full-Time Home/EU Undergraduate/PGCE/Postgraduate Taught/MPhil and MRes
Withdrawal Dates Fee Liability
From first day of term until 3 January 2021
25% of the full annual fee*
From 4 January 2021 until 11 April 2021
50% of the full annual fee*
From 12 April 2021
100% of the full annual fee*
* The fee liability is in percentage terms of the full annual fee. The Full-Time Undergraduate/PGCE Home/EU (excluding GB) fee is £4,395 and for GB students is £9,250. The Postgraduate Taught annual fee varies depending on the programme that you have registered on, with the standard annual fee at £6,080. The MPhil/MRes programmes have an annual fee of £4,407.
2. Part-Time Home/EU Undergraduate/Postgraduate Taught/MPhil and MRes
Withdrawal Dates Fee Liability From first day of term until 31 October 2020
25% of the full annual fee or 50% of the semester one fee
(whichever is the higher amount)
From 1 November 2020 until 3 January 2021
50% of the full annual fee or 100% of the semester one fee
(whichever is the higher amount)
From 4 January 2021 until 28 February 2021 75% of the full annual fee From 1 March 2021 100% of the full annual fee
3. Overseas Full-Time and Part-Time
Withdrawal Dates Fee Liability From first day of term until 31 October 2020 Nil From 1 November 2020 until 28 February 2021 100% of semester one fees From 1 March 2021 100% of the full annual fee
Please note that Overseas Distance Learning Students will be required to pay a non-refundable deposit equal to 20% of their tuition fees at registration. Overseas Distance Learning Students with an intake year of 2020/21 who withdraw within 14 calendar days of completing registration, will have tuition fees paid for in that academic year refunded.
4. Full-Time and Part-Time Postgraduate Research excluding MPhil and MRes
Postgraduate Research students will be charged on a monthly basis in accordance with their date of withdrawal. Where a student is registered after the 7th day of a month, tuition fees are chargeable for that month.
5. Students in receipt of US Federal Aid
Students in receipt of US Federal Aid shall be liable for overseas tuition fees in line with the US Department of Education Title IV Funds return calculation. Should a student leave after 31 October but before completion of 60% attendance (per semester) the student will be liable for the balance of fees resulting from the return calculation. The same principle will apply in semester 2.