Living away from home

Information on accommodation at Ulster University

Living away from home is a big change for many students and signing a year's contract for accommodation is a big responsibility. It is important that you consider all of your options and be aware of the implications should things go wrong.

University Accommodation

Ulster University Residential Services maintains accommodation on the Coleraine, Jordanstown and Magee campuses and they have lots of information on what is available and how to apply on their website.

Ulster University do not own accommodation in Belfast, however, Purpose-built student accommodation is available through our partners, Student Roost.

It is important that you read the 'Need to Know' section, which provides guidance 'Dos & Don'ts' on settling in, health and safety, the code of conduct and the complaints procedure.

University Accommodation University Accommodation

Play it

University Accommodation

Private Accommodation

If you choose to live off campus, you will have to secure privately rented, shared accommodation. There are a number of websites you can visit to search for student accommodation, such as NIHE Student Pad or SpareRoom and you can also enquire at local letting agents.

Unless your rental agreement covers all utility bills, you will have to budget for this every month. If you are living in shared accommodation, utility bills are split between each tenant. Best to lay down some ground rules on how you plan to pay for these to avoid any awkward conversations if someone hasn’t paid their share for the month. Ensure you shop around for the best deals available from utility providers, such as Wi-Fi.

If you have any issues, or if you need general advice regarding student accommodation, you can speak to your UUSU Advice Bureau.   There are also a number of resources for support with other accommodation issues, such as homelessness or tenancy dispute; you can find these in our Helplines.

REMEMBER! Protect your items fr om theft, flood or fire with contents insurance. Those who are renting are not automatically covered should anything out of the ordinary happen. Click here for more information on contents insurance or to see why you should have it. It is also worth checking if you are covered by your parent’s home insurance.

AVOID a costly fine! You must ensure you have your own individual TV license, whether you watch TV online or on a traditional TV. Failure to secure a TV license could result in costly fine, so find out if you need one.

ASK Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible to Housing Benefit or Council Rate Relief. Click here to see if you are eligible to apply.

CONSIDER cancelling pricey TV packages and opt for a cheap online streaming service to save money whilst studying.


  • The Smartlink cards from Translink are bus passes for bulk-buying journeys, avoiding the hassle of carrying change and can save you over 35%.
  • Y-Link card from Translink can help save on daily travel costs, such as the Uni-link bus. Make sure you sign-up for yours.
  • Save money by buying a campus Car Parking Permit, or if you are attending Belfast campus, speak to Q Park staff for a reduced weekly parking permit in St Anne’s Square multi-storey carpark. Alternatively, check out Belfast City Council for local parking and tariffs. Don't forget to download the Parkmobile app for cashless parking.
  • Save even more by car sharing, cycling or walking to University. There are also local buses running privately, e.g. Rooney.
  • If you are a nursing student, you may be eligible to claim for excess travel costs incurred whilst on placement. For more information contact BSO directly.