Thinking of leaving?

Information if you are considering withdrawing from your course.

We understand that there may be certain aspects of your course or university life that you are finding particularly difficult and because of that you may be thinking about withdrawing. Please don't feel that you need deal with those worries or concerns on your own. We have a number of support services available to help you find solutions and to progress.

If you are thinking about leaving your course for any reason, Student Wellbeing is here to guide and support with whatever the right decision is for you.

Common Issues

Here are a few examples of how we can help.

  • I do not like the course content / it does not cover what I thought it would / I am struggling academically

    Some courses are not always what you expect, as they can include a number of modules there to give students a wide understanding of the subject. Speak to your course director to find out about the different modules and learning coming up, as while it might not be what you expect now, it may be in the future.

    Your course director can also recommend an alternative course of action, such as swapping to another course that might share similar modules/credits.

    You can also speak to your course representative who can resolve issues and will also work closely with the course director on your behalf.

    Contact the Student Wellbeing team to discuss study tips and learning styles as well as learning stress management techniques to help you study and perform better in exams.

  • I cannot afford to stay in university / I am in serious financial hardship 

    Our dedicated Student Money Advice team are there to help.

    Whether you are running out of money, are finding it difficult to manage your funds, or if you need additional support, we can help answer any questions.

    Contact Student Money directly via email, .

  • My disability or medical condition is impacting my ability to study

    Are you in receipt of reasonable adjustments to assist you with your studies?

    If not, meet with our AccessAbility team to find out what additional support may be available to you.

    If your condition has temporarily deteriorated, you could review options to take a leave of absence or transfer onto a distance-learning course so that you may still complete your studies.

  • I have personal issues that have made it difficult to attend classes

    It has been a challenging year for everyone, and the changes to how teaching is being delivered may be difficult to adjust to.

    Whatever the issue that is affecting your studies, contact Student Wellbeing to discuss it confidentially with one of our team. Following Government guidance, our appointments are currently being delivered remotely via telephone or video conferencing.

    Contact Student Wellbeing:
    Phone – 02895367000
    Email –

  • I have just found out that I am pregnant and unable to complete my compulsory placement year

    There is support available, should you find yourself in a position that you cannot complete mandatory portions of your course, such as deferring for a year of taking a formal leave of absence.

    However, remember we can also help with any financial or emotional support you may require to enable you to come back to university and succeed. Visit out Student Money website for more information, or contact the team directly at .

Deregistration Policy

If you make a final decision to leave university, the deregistration policy gives step by step guidance on how to complete this process and can be found on the portal.

It is important that you complete the formal procedure to withdraw including filling out a deregistration form.

If you simply stop attending classes, you will continue to be held liable for fees.