Take a leave of absence

Follow these steps if you are taking a break from your studies and intend to return to the university.

Taking a leave of absence means taking an authorised break from your studies, usually for a maximum of one calendar year.

You may decide to take a leave of absence if you:

  • have a documented medical or personal reason that’s making it hard for you to engage with and concentrate on your studies.
  • you’re changing from one course to another and restarting your studies the following academic year if
  • you’re resitting your exams without attending during the forthcoming academic year have financial or motivational reasons such as undergoing a period of maternity leave or work experience.

Take a leave of absence: step-by-step

If you are thinking about taking a leave of absence, please follow these steps:

PhD researchers must submit a leave of absence request using PhD Manager

Leave of absence form

Deregistration Policy

Deregistration is the term given to a break in study either via Leave of Absence or Complete Withdrawal.

Deregistration can only take place via the student portal if you have already registered as a new or returning student.

If you have not registered for the current year and wish to withdraw or take a leave of absence, simply fill in a Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form in consultation with your Course Director.

If you feel you would like to deregister due to difficulties you are having with your studies or University life in general or if you need to deregister for any other reason you should initially speak to your Course Director.

Student Wellbeing can also provide further advice and support.

Withdrawal form

Further information on deregistration