Would you like to sign up to be a mentor and get paid for helping new students?
If you will be a final year undergraduate student in 2021/22, you are invited to register to become a Peer Mentor as part of the University’s new Studiosity ‘Student Connect’ Peer Mentoring Service.
Studiosity remotely matches trained final year undergraduate student mentors to first year students on the same or similar course who need help.
It enhances informal peer networks that students make at university and helps those who may not have been able to develop such networks.
The service will be fully managed and quality assured on behalf of the University by our partner Studiosity, and will offer significant benefits for both the mentors and mentees.
Full training will be provided, and you will also be reimbursed for your time as a mentor.
This is a mentoring opportunity to include on your CV, enhancing your employability.
Benefits for final year mentors
'Student Connect' provides benefits for final year undergraduate students including:
- giving something back to those starting their learning journey.
- feeling more connected to the University community and the course ‘family’.
- payment of £10 per hour which is paid by the minute for the mentoring they provide. Further details will be provided.
- valuable work experience, training, and employability skills.
- Edge credit.
Benefits for first year mentees
'Student Connect' provides benefits for first year students including:
- providing an informal avenue of support to first year students in their transition to University who may feel uncertain or reserved in approaching a member of staff
- helping them settle in and guide them in how to plan and structure their learning
- alleviating concerns through a friendly and accessible mentoring service provided by final year students
To be eligible to apply as a student mentor, you must be a Final Year undergraduate student who is in Good Academic standing in 2021/22.
Having Good Academic Standing means that you are not carrying any resits at the point of application
If applications exceed the number of mentors required factors previous experience of mentoring or other educational support (desirable) will be taken into consideration including experience of:
- peer mentoring or other educational support such as PASS
- tutoring in Schools
- UUSU leadership roles such as Student Rep, Student Councillor or Club/Society Committee member.
- working in other supporting roles
There are other points to note including:
- as part of the selection process you will be asked to take a communication test delivered by Studiosity and your performance will be taken into consideration.
- academic performance on first year modules may be taken into consideration as part of the mentor-mentee matching process.
- students who meet the criteria within the ratios of mentors required will be selected on a first come first serve basis.
- if a student is not offered a mentoring opportunity in the first round, a waiting list may be held for eligible applicants.
- students will be informed about the outcome of the application within 6-8 weeks.
- the decision of selectors is final
How to apply: step-by-step
Applications open on the 30th April 2021. The closing date is midnight on the 14th June 2021.
Please follow these steps to apply. This will only take about 30 minutes to complete.
- login using student number and password
- select 'Access Studiosity'
- select the 'Become a Student Mentor link' on the right hand side and enter your phone number
- complete the application process which includes a Student Mentor Communication Screening Test
- Studiosity require some documents to verify your identity and skillset. Check you receive an email requesting these documents from email@example.com.
- follow the guidance provided in the email to submit your documents. W
- check you get a confirmation email from Studiosity within 24 hours notifying you that your documents have been received
When will you find out if you have been successful
We will try to inform you about the outcome of the application ASAP but within 6-8 weeks.
Who to contact if you have a question
If there are any issues with application please contact Catherine O'Donnell via email: firstname.lastname@example.org