Fund for International Travel (FIT)
Dedicated to maintaining the University's position as a sector leader in widening access to higher education.
Funded as part of Ulster’s WAP Plan (formerly known as the Access Agreement), the Fund for International Travel (FIT), will provide on-course support to widening access students with a focus on experiencing cultures, environments and countries other than that of their domicile and socio-economic background.
Coverage, Eligibility & Procedurs
University Approved Placements
A maximum of £40,000 will be available to support international travel to enable students to take advantage of work experience opportunities associated with their studies. Up to £2,000 will be available to cover the cost of flights and other directly associated travel, the first month’s accommodation and subsistence.
University Arranged International Visits to Partner Institutions
Up to a maximum of £40,000 will be made available to cover the cost of a cohort of widening access students to visit international partner institutions. Financial support provided will include travel, subsistence, a modest daily stipend.
To be eligible to apply applicants must be:
- a full-time undergraduate registered student at Ulster University;
- NI domiciled for period of 3 years or more.
Eligibility will be assessed against Banner student records and information provided in the application.
In the first instance, applicants must also meet at least one, usually more than one, of the following criteria:
- be in receipt of an Ulster Widening Access Bursary;
- permanently reside (ie home address as recorded in Banner) in an area of high deprivation/low participation in higher education (applicants can check their eligibility against this criteria by entering their postcode using the quick look up tool at http://addl.ulster.ac.uk/communityengagement/dashboard/postcode;
- have undertaken their secondary education at a state school with a free school entitlement of 40% or more (applicants can check their eligibility against this criteria on the Department for Education website, see https://www.educationni.gov.uk/publications/school-enrolments-school-level-data-201617);
- be in receipt of benefits which may include: state income support, working tax credit or child tax credit. - have declared to the University a background-of-care;
- have disclosed a disability to the University or be in receipt of disability living allowance/personal independence payments. Should the fund be oversubscribed, priority will be given to applications that meet several of the eligibility criteria.
Notes for Applicants
Applicants should note that:
- the application will remain confidential between the applicant and Ulster University;
- the application will be assessed solely on the information provided;
- the provision of funds will be at the discretion of the Funding Panel;
- funds will be allocated on merit; ▪ eligibility in itself is not sufficient for funding; ▪ successful applicants may be asked to provide further evidence of eligibility;
- Course Directors will be asked to confirm the suitability of the placement in relation to the applicants chosen programme of study and/or academic progress; ▪ provision of false or misleading information will result in invalidity and may lead to disciplinary action;
- where the funding is allocated to individual students, the successful applicants must agree to participate in an approved mentoring arrangement and remain in constant contact with their nominated Mentor;
- although applicants may make an unlimited number of submissions, funding will normally be limited to one award per applicant in any given year.
Application Process Calls for applications for each stream of the Fund will be sent out with completed applications to be returned as follows:
* Further information on Placement opportunities including application forms are available at: www.ulster.ac.uk/goglobal.
* Further information on international summer opportunities including application forms are available at: https://www.ulster.ac.uk/international/outgoing-students/other.