Guidance for nominators
The Honorary Degrees Committee has asked that colleagues, in submitting nominations for honorary degrees, should conform with the arrangements set out below.
- The University aims to attract a range of nominations for outstanding individuals who reflect the University’s broad range of academic activity, its commitment to diversity and its role as Northern Ireland’s Civic University.
- Although not essential, nominations for outstanding individuals who have a significant connection with Ireland are encouraged.
- Nominations are particularly welcome for those do not already hold honorary degrees from other institutions.
- Nominees should have achieved local, national or international distinction.
- Nominations are welcome for individuals who have contributed to or associate strongly with the achievement of the University’s objectives
- Nominations are welcome for those who have achieved outstanding success in areas of strategic interest to the University.
- Generally, the University does not accept nominations for active politicians and persons currently holding high public office.
Information about nominee
Use our nomination form to include full details of your nominee. Complete separate forms for multiple nominations. If at all possible, include contact details for the nominee.
The identity of the person submitting the nomination must be kept separate from the nomination particulars.
Nominees for Honorary Degrees should not be approached by persons submitting their names to the Honorary Degrees Committee. The Committee will contact chosen candidates in due course.
Current Honorary Graduates
The University has already conferred honorary degrees on a number of distinguished persons, whose details are available here.
Please check that your nominee is not already an honorary graduate.