Recipe: Guinness and Chocolate Cake
Emma-Jayne, a Culinary Arts student at Ulster University, has shared her favourite cake recipe, how does Guinness and chocolate sound to you!
Follow the simple recipe below.
Chocolate and Guinness cake ingredients
- 250ml Guinness
- 250g unsalted butter
- 75g cocoa powder
- 400g caster sugar
- 142ml sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla
- 275g plain flour
- 2 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda Topping
- 300g cream cheese
- 150g icing sugar
- 125ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180◦c. Grease a cake tin (8-10inches) with butter and baking paper.
- Add the Guinness and butter to a large pan and heat until melted.
- Then whisk in the cocoa powder and sugar.
- Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla.
- Then add to the mixture.
- Finally, whisk in the flour and bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the mixture to the tin and bake for 45mins to 60mins.
- Leave to cool in the tin as the cake is quite damp.
- Once cool remove from the tin and prepare the topping.
- Mix the cream cheese until smooth, sieve in the icing sugar and beat together.
- Add the cream and beat again until it reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Ice the cake to resemble the foam of the infamous pint.