The forms of assessment associated with each module are described in your course/subject and/or module handbook(s).

Coursework and/or formal examinations may be used.

The relative weighting between coursework and examinations and the overall contribution of the module to the final award are set out in course regulations.

The assessment is designed to demonstrate how well you have met the learning outcomes of the module.

Your performance is generally measured as percentage marks, but grades may be used and some modules are graded on a pass/fail basis only. Marking is guided by assessment criteria.


Coursework may involve the production of essays, reports, seminar papers, a project report or dissertation, designs or artefacts, or participation in a class test.

There are set dates for the submission of coursework.

Work will not be accepted after this date unless the Course/Subject Director has granted prior permission.

You will receive timely feedback on your performance.

You should retain your coursework.

You may be required to return it at any time within one year. Failure to do so will be a sufficient reason not to take the work into account in determining your results.


Examinations are normally of two or three hours’ duration.

The University has a system to ensure that examination scripts are anonymised during the marking process.

This may also apply to coursework. Examination scripts are not returned to you but you may discuss your performance with your adviser.

You will receive information and feedback on your performance in coursework and in examinations. You should note that marks and grades are subject to a process of moderation, which ensures their validity and reliability, and that no result is finalised until confirmed by the Board of Examiners.

The Board of Examiners

The Board of Examiners makes decisions about your assessment results, progress and final award in accordance with the course and award regulations.

The Board comprises all internal examiners and at least one external examiner.

A senior independent member of faculty staff chairs it. You may be asked to meet with the external examiner.

For combined honours degrees (major/main/minor), decisions about progress and award are made by a campus Progress and Award Board following receipt of results from the subject Boards of Examiners.