Dr Leanne McCormick
Lecturer in Modern Irish Social History
- School of English & History
- Research Institute
- Arts and Humanities Research Institute
- Coleraine campus
- +44 28 7012 3576
Dr Leanne McCormick read history at University of Cambridge where she also completed a PGCE in History.
She taught history at schools in India and Edinburgh before returning to Northern Ireland to complete a PhD at Ulster University.
She held a post-doctoral position in the Centre for the History of Medicine in Ireland (CHOMI) working on women's health in Ireland before being appointed to her present position as Lecturer in Modern Irish Social History in 2009.
Leanne is Director of the Centre for the History of Medicine in Ireland (CHOMI) at Ulster University and Lecturer in Modern Irish Social History.
Leanne's research interests include women's history, history of sexuality and history of medicine in Ireland/Northern Ireland and she has published a number of articles and chapters in these areas.
Her monograph Regulating Sexuality: Women in Twentieth Century Northern Ireland, was published by MUP in 2009.
Other projects have included a study of abortion in twentieth century Northern Ireland and an article on Abortion in Belfast, 1917-67 is forthcoming in the Journal of Social History.
She is presently working on a British Academy funded project on Irish women and charity in late C19th and early C20th New York and is PI on an AHRC funded project, with C-I Elaine Farrell (QUB), 'Bad Bridget: Criminal and Deviant Irish Women in North America, 1838-1918'.
Leanne is a member of the Executive Committee of the Women's History Association of Ireland, Stakeholder and User Forum member of Public Records Office of Northern Ireland.
Showing 1 to 9 out of 9 publications
This list was generated by the Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR).
- The Dangers and Temptations of the Street: Managing female behaviour in Belfast during First World WarWomen's History ReviewDate: (2016)
- "No Sense of Wrongdoing": Abortion in Belfast 1917-1967Journal of Social HistoryDate: (2015)
- Venereal Diseases in Northern Ireland during the Second World WarGender and Medicine in Ireland, 1700-1950Date: (2012)
- Regulating Sexuality: Women in Twentieth Century Northern IrelandDate: (2010)
- Venereal Disease in Interwar Northern IrelandCultures of Care in Irish Medical History, 1750-1970Date: (2010)
- ‘Filthy little girls: Controlling women in public spaces in Northern Ireland during the World Wars’Irish Women at WarDate: (2010)
- “The Scarlet Woman in Person”: The Establishment of a Family Planning Service in Northern Ireland, 1950-1974’Social History of MedicineDate: (2008)
- One Yank and They’re Off: Interaction between US Troops and Northern Irish Women, 1943-45Journal of History of SexualityDate: (2006)
- Sinister Sisters ?: the Portrayal of Magdalene Asylums in Ireland in Popular CultureCultural and Social HistoryDate: (2005)