Associate Head of School
- School of Communication and Media
- Research Institute
- Centre for Media Research
- Coleraine campus
- +44 28 7012 4267
Alan Hook joined the Ulster University in 2009.
He has formally taught on the BSc in Computer Video Games, MA in Creative Technology and MSc in Creative Games at within the School of Media, Music and Performance at The University of Salford.
Alan has degrees in Fine Art (Sculpture) from the University of Leeds and a MA with distinction in Creative Technologies from The University of Salford. Although Alan's current practice focuses on emerging forms of play and media he has previously engaged in a number of physical computing projects such as The Theremin Suit: A Prototype for Augmented Proprioception (2009), and Futile Automata: Co-Ordinate Plotter (mk1) (2007).
Alan is Course Director of the Interactive Media Arts program and his teaching focuses on new modes of consumption, playful mediated experiences, spreadable media and social networks.
Alan's research is primarily practice lead and focuses on new and emerging digital media, specifically Pervasive and Alternate Reality Gaming.
His research gravitates towards a praxis driven investigation into games and play, with an interest in Alternate Reality Games and Learning.
His main research interests revolve around Play as a form of media interaction and mode of audience engagement.
Alan Hook, Centre For Media Research Institute, talks about his research into how playing games can be used to help expose audiences to complex problems or ideas.
Showing 1 to 10 of 22 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- The Game Did Not Take Place—This Is Not A Game and blurring the Lines of FictionAlternate Reality Games and the Cusp of Digital GameplayDate: (2017)
- A Transmedia Topology of 'Making a MurdererVIEW The European Journal for Television History and CultureDate: (2016)
- Fun and Software Edited by Olga GoriunovaInformation, Communication & SocietyDate: (2016)
- Future Energy Networks and the Role of Interactive Gaming as SimulationFuturesDate: (2016)
- /v/IRAL /v/IDEO /d/ISCO Interview - Mark DuffetDate: (2015)
- Archie's CaveDate: (2015)
- This Is Our Playground: Recognizing the Value of Students as InnovatorsDate: (2013)
- Finding JanetDate: (2013)
- This is Our Playground: Recognising the value of students as innovatorsMuseums and the WebDate: (2013)
- MYNI2013Date: (2013)