Dr Mervyn Smyth Reader
- School of the Built Environment
- Research Institute
- Built Environment
- +44 (0)28 903 68119
Dr Mervyn Smyth obtained a 1st Class BEng (Hons) in Building Services Engineering and PhD for solar energy research both from Ulster University. Dr Smyth has over 7 years’ experience in the HVAC industry prior to taking up the position of Lecturer in Building Services Engineering at Ulster University, followed by a senior lecturer/teaching fellow position with the School of Architecture, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand. Dr Smyth has also held positions at Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia and Domaine Carneros Estate, USA.
He was promoted to Reader in Solar Thermal Technologies at Ulster University in 2008. Dr Mervyn Smyth was the NI Regional Chairman of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (2009 to 2012).
Dr Smyth has a particular interest in solar thermal systems and has been involved in the design, development, fabrication and evaluation of various types of solar water heating units. He has over 17 years of experience in the experimental characterisation of solar energy technologies under real and simulated conditions and has over 9 years in the integration of passive solar systems and agri-frost protection, conducting numerous field experiments.
In addition to his interest in solar thermal systems, he has also conducted research with PVs, energy and the wine industry, anaerobic digestion and building integrated solar.
Dr Smyth is the current vice chair of the TU1205 EU COST action on Building Integrated Solar Thermal Systems and the Director of SolaForm Ltd. He has authored over 65 publications to date, including his recently published book investigating the design principles of energy usage and solar augmentation in winery operation.
Showing 1 to 5 of 54 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Solar Thermal Systems – Towards a systematic characterization of building integrationEnergy ProcediaDate: (2016)Creators: Aelenei, Laura, Smyth, Mervyn, Platzer, Werner, Norton, Brian, Kennedy, David, Kalogirou, Soteris and Maurer, Christoph
- Review on recent approaches for hybrid PV/T solar technologyInternational Journal of Energy ResearchDate: (2016)Creators: Besheer, Ahmad, Smyth, M, Zacharopoulos, Aggelos, Mondol, Jayanta Deb and Pugsley, Adrian
- A comparative performance analysis of solar heat exchangers for solar hot water application under controlled laboratory conditionsInternational Journal of Ambient EnergyDate: (2016)Creators: Mondol, Jayanta Deb, Smyth, M and Zacharopoulos, Aggelos
- Global applicability of solar desalinationRenewable EnergyDate: (2015)Creators: Pugsley, Adrian, Zacharopoulos, Aggelos, Mondol, Jayanta Deb and Smyth, Mervyn
- The Effects of Nonuniform Illumination on the Electrical Performance of a Single Conventional Photovoltaic CellInternational Journal of PhotoenergyDate: (2015)Creators: Paul, Damasen Ikwaba, Smyth, Mervyn, Zacharopoulos, Aggelos and Mondol, Jayanta Deb