Weigh to a Healthy Pregnancy
Find out more about the weigh to a healthy baby study.
Face-to-face with a midwife and/or dietitian at three different time points during pregnancy and one contact at 6 weeks postpartum. Two group sessions at 18-20 weeks gestation and 28-34 weeks gestation and telephone/texting support at three time points during pregnancy.
The aim of the evaluation was to assess the effectiveness and feasibility of the Weigh to a Healthy Pregnancy programme in limiting gestational weight gain in obese pregnant women.
The six key objectives of the evaluation were:
- To examine uptake of and attrition from the 'Weigh to Healthy Pregnancy' programme
- To determine maternal weight gain during pregnancy and weight loss at six weeks post pregnancy
- To assess the impact of the intervention on maternal lifestyle factors including eating behaviour, physical activity and attempted breastfeeding
- To assess the impact of the intervention on maternal and neonatal pregnancy outcomes
- To ascertain the ability of the programme to facilitate sustained life style changes in the postpartum stage
- To examine the feasibility of delivering the programme within the current clinical environment