At FACTS we have state-of-the-art facilities which offer fully equipped product development kitchens, sensory testing booths (utilising Compusense software), consumer research facilities, and a nutritional analysis laboratory. The staff at FACTS are highly experienced in the food and drinks industry and include sensory and nutritional experts as well as qualified chefs and academics. Our ongoing work in research and innovation helps ensure that we retain the cutting-edge skills, knowledge and expertise to solve your problems and support your business development.
Our services include:
- Product Development/Refinement/Reformulation
- Product Benchmarking/Competitor Analysis
- Sensory Evaluation & Testing
- Customer Preference Analysis
- Focus Groups
- Shelf Life Testing & Measurements
- Nutritional Evaluation & Composition
- Observational Studies
- Ingredient Substitution/Ingredient Modification Analysis
- Product Development Test Kitchens
The product development process is time consuming and costly as many products fail to make it onto the market or are successful for only a short period of time. FACTS aims to equip developers with the knowledge and skills needed to innovate, explore new ideas, screen product concepts and manage the development process, to increase the likelihood of product success. Our team of highly qualified chefs and nutritional experts can help create or refine the ingredient combination to develop the optimum food or drink product.
Our facilities include:
- 14 Individual Fully Equipped Product Development Kitchens
- 10 Computerised Sensory Booths
- White Room (Consumer Research)
- Industrial Kitchen
- Operational Restaurant
- Product Testing Sensory Booths & Research Focus Groups
Sensory evaluation is now widely recognised within the food and drink industry as an essential business asset for reducing the likelihood of product failure and increasing consumer acceptance of, and preference for, a product.
At FACTS all sensory evaluation is conducted utilising the latest Compusense technology to analyse consumer preferences. With ten individual computerised sensory testing booths and linked preparation area, we measure, record and analyse a consumer’s response to all sensory stimuli, under the expert management of our experienced researchers in this controlled environment.
In our White Room facility, research can be undertaken using focus groups and observational studies to listen, record and interpret all feedback from your customers to give you a complete understanding of your product. We can discover what consumers think about your product and uncover their preferences and perceptions about the product including taste, packaging, design, labelling and price.
Through utilising our licenced Compusense software key questions can be investigated such as:
- “Can I use a cheaper ingredient?”
- “How does my brand compare to competitors?”
- “What sensory attributes are important to consumers?”
- “Does the product change during storage? How?”
The Food and Consumer Testing Suite was awarded Best Business and Third Level Institution Collaboration at the 2019 Education Awards.