Staff Desktop Image Provision for Faculties
ISD provides Windows 32-bit and 64-bit software images which are compliant with the University Desktop Standards Architecture.
Digital Services supports over 2000 Windows based desktop PCs throughout the University in locations which include Libraries, IT laboratories, teaching rooms and group study rooms.
Digital Services also supports Windows based PCs in the various administration departments of the University. All of these machines are configured with a base operating system image, depending on whether they are for staff or student use, and connected to an Active Directory domain for authentication to the network as well as access to the various systems and services that are required by their users.
The base images that are built and configured within Digital Services meet the agreed University Desktop Standards Architecture. Further configuration and management is performed via Microsoft Active Directory tools and applications which includes System Centre Configuration Manager (SCCM) as a central deployment technology.
Development and Deployment of Windows OS Images
Digital Services provides Windows 32-bit and 64-bit software images which are compliant with the University Desktop Standards Architecture. The images include supported versions of applications such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, Java, Flash and Internet browsers that have been tested to work with University web based services.
Digital Services has standardised the use of Microsoft SCCM technologies for the deployment of all OS images to Microsoft Windows based desktop and laptop PCs. To ensure currency of deployed images, OS images are no-longer provided via any other medium. No support can be provided by Digital Services for systems built with non-standard OS images.
Device drivers for all systems purchased on the standard Procurement contract are incorporated into the image deployment task. Should a faculty procure non-standard systems they can request driver support for these systems to be added by contacting the ICTCS Service Delivery group via the Digital Services IT Service Desk.
Image availability for Central Administrative Departments
- Supported software images and applications are provided to Central Administrative Departments via the Digital Services IT Service Desk and established ICT Customer Services User Desktop Support processes.
- Faculty Administrative and Clerical staff are required to use the same image and standards as Central Administrative departments. Faculty staff are supported via their own Faculty Technicians and established Desktop Support processes.
Image availability and SCCM services for Faculties
The base images deployed on Digital Services supported systems are also available for deployment to faculty owned systems.
- Staff are recommended to use the Supported Staff Environment service provision. A standard image is made available to Departments and Faculties for deployment to systems which, although not part of the Administrative Supported Staff Environment (SSE) service, would benefit from the deployment of a common standards software image via modern SCCM technologies.
- SCCM services are available to all faculties and ICT Customer Services can arrange training for technical staff upon request via their technical Services Manager.
- As training and access to SCCM services has already been provided to most faculties, delivery of a current image to host systems can be executed for most faculty personnel.
Deployment of the image will require:
- A University network account
- A networked desktop PC or laptop capable of running current versions of Windows Enterprise and the current Desktop Standards software profile.
- Use of SCCM technologies, the currently available OS image and the standard business processes that underpin the service.
Deployment of a University Desktop Image is to be carried out in conjunction with the ICT Service Centre or Faculty Technical Staff who can advise on technical and procedural aspects.
Requests for a University Desktop Image Provision should be submitted via the IT Service Desk.
ICTCS Service Delivery can advise and provide support to Faculty technical staff. in this process.
A comprehensive set of deployment notes is available, on request, via the Service Desk.
- Viglen Business Process - New Hardware
- National Desktop and Notebook Agreement (NDNA)
- See also Supported Staff Environment (SSE) service.
How to obtain help
How to contact the Service Desk
Service Desk Hours
Semester 1 and 2
Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm
Saturday – Sunday 1pm – 5pm
All other times except extended closure
Monday - Thursday 8am - 5pm
Friday 8am - 4pm
Extended Closure - Easter and Christmas Holidays
Monday - Friday 10am - 1pm
Cost (where applicable)
The service and software image is available to faculties and departments at no cost (when using the standard corporate base image).
Images which may be required for non-standard hardware may be subject to charging.
For more information, please see Charging for Non-NDNA Agreement Desktops and Laptops Services (PDF document)
The service is available to all faculties and departments of the University.
- ICT Customer Services
- Participating Faculties