Supported Staff Environment (SSE)
Digital Services provides a User Desktop Support Service on the Supported Staff Environment.
- A University network account
- A networked desktop or laptop device meeting the SSE system requirements.
Benefits of SSE
- Security - access to secure individual and shared file storage which can be accessed from any workstation on any campus
- Reduced Risk - centrally managed Windows and Anti-Virus updates protect your PC from virus and malware attacks
- Compatibility - compatibility with planned developments e.g. MS SharePoint, Unified Communications etc
- Reliability - increased availability, reduction in support calls and compatibility with planned developments
- Remote deployment - remote support allows central distribution of application software and security patches
- Environmental - designed to reduce energy consumption
- Managed - ability to report on hardware and software inventories
SERVICE LEVEL 1: STANDARD (no admin rights)
Aimed at the user with normal business application requirements. Centrally managed including security patches, enterprise anti-virus software and secure personal and departmental file storage. Corporate data is not stored on the local hard drive. Additional applications can be requested either via faculty support staff or Digital Services IT Service Desk. CONTROL and PROTECT documents are stored on home or department network shares.
SERVICE LEVEL 2: SPECIALIST (no admin rights)
Aimed at Academic and Administrative Staff who have a reasonably static application and operating environment and who are not regularly downloading applications or have a requirement to configure their workstations. They do however need additional storage and require access to their local hard drive. Additional applications would be requested either via faculty support staff or Digital Services IT Service Desk. CONTROL and PROTECT documents are stored on home or department network shares.
SERVICE LEVEL 3: ENHANCED (Specialist - admin rights)
Aimed at IT Professionals who understand the security risks associated with elevated rights. Includes Developers, System Administrators and Academic Staff who need to have access to their local configuration and regularly make changes and install software on their system.
The user will have full access to their local hard drive and will have the necessary “rights” to install applications on their workstation.
Requests for Service Level 3 will have to be authorised by Deans and Heads of Department. This authorisation will include a “Compliance” statement that the user must sign to ensure they are aware of security implications associated with this operating environment.
It is recommended that CONTROL and PROTECT documents are stored on home or department network shares, or on the desktop only if it is encrypted. OPEN files can be stored on an unencrypted desktop.
- Application Self Service Portal – enables users to install applications from a web interface
- Ability to encrypt mobile devices
- Push security patches / updates
- Device management and reporting tools
SSE System requirements
- modern computer (up to 3 years old, best experience from a newer computer)
- touch enabled (for best Win 10 experience)
- minimum 4gb ram
- 20gb available free disk space (ntfs)
- active directory connected (staff ad)
- McAfee or equivalent antivirus (with latest definitions installed)
- bitlocker (recommended)
- operating system (up to latest patch release) (Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 Service Pack 1)
- Browser (Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft EDGE, Chrome (50+), Firefox (45+))
- .Net (.NET 3.5 required. Some features may require .NET 4.0, 4.5, or 4.6 CLR to also be installed).
- Microsoft Office 2016
- An Apple mac computer with an intel processor (up to 3 years old, best experience from a newer computer)
- Minimum 8Gb ram
- Minimum 20gb available free disk space (hfs+)
- System to be compliant with the Apple Computer Support statement
- active directory connected (staff AD) for user authentication
- McAfee Endpoint Protection software (with latest definitions installed)
- filevault (recommended for laptops)
- operating system (up to latest patch release) (OSX 10:12.6)
- JAMF Pro (previously Casper) Client installed
- Browser Latest versions (Safari, Chrome)
- Microsoft Office 2016
- Skype for Business
Tablet / Phone
- modern tablet / phone (up to 2 years old, best experience from a newer device)
- latest supported version of Windows, IOS, Android
- acceptance of device management and remote wipe capabilities.
- recommended the device is not jailbroken.
How to obtain help
How to contact the Service Desk
Service Desk Hours
Semester 1 and 2
Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm
Saturday – Sunday 1pm – 5pm
All other times except extended closure
Monday - Thursday 8am - 5pm
Friday 8am - 4pm
Extended Closure - Easter and Christmas Holidays
Monday - Friday 10am - 1pm