English language proficiency is a vital skill whilst undertaking a research degree. Applicants are therefore expected to provide evidence of their proficiency in English by way of an approved test.
We accept a wide range of English language examinations and tests, please check the full list of accepted tests below.
View full list of accepted tests
Applicants from EU and the UK
Applicants from the EU (part-time and/or UK residents) and the UK may alternatively provide one of the tests and qualifications listed below. Full-time EU researchers who require a Student Visa must hold one of the recognised tests listed via the link above.
- GCSE/IGCSE English Language - Pass at Grade C
- Irish Leaving Certificate English - Grade C
- Scottish Higher or Standard Grade English - Grade C
- IELTS Academic - Overall grade 6.0, with a minimum of 5.5 in each component
- Cambridge English Certificates
- Preliminary - Pass with distinction and Exceptional in all 4 components
- First - Pass at Grade B OR Pass at Grade C plus Borderline in all 4 components
- Advanced - Pass at Level B2 and Weak in all 4 components
- Business – Pass with Distinction and Exceptional in all 4 components
- Business Vantage – Pass at Grade B OR Pass at Grade C plus Borderline in all 4 components
- Business Higher – Pass at Level B2 and Weak in all 4 components
- Legal – Pass at B2 and Borderline in all 4 components
- Financial – Pass at B2 and Borderline in all 4 components
- City & Guilds (Pitman Examination in International ESOL) - Pass at Mastery level when achieved with a pass at Mastery level in the Pitman International Spoken (ISESOL) test.
- IGCSE English as a Second Language, Syllabus 0510 - Pass at Grade C
- International Baccalaureate (IB) - IB Standard or Higher Level English – Grade 4
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) - 61 or above with a minimum of 51 in each of the 4 components
European School Leaving/Matriculation Certificates
- Austria - In the Matura/Reifeprufung, 2 (gut) in English when both written and oral examinations have been taken.
- Belgium - In the Diploma van Secundair or the Certificat d’Enseignement Secondaire Superieur, the equivalent of 8/80%/grote onderscheiding/avec grande distinction in English.
- Denmark - In the Studentereksamen, 10 in English. European Baccalaureate – Grade 6.5 in English
- Finland - In the Ylioppilastutkinto/Studentexamen matriculation examination, 5 (magna cum laude approbatur) in English.
- France - In the Baccalaureat l’option international, Grade 11 in English
- Germany - In the Abitur, 11 in English
- Iceland - In the Students prof matriculation examination, 8 in English when taken as a compulsory modern language.
- Luxembourg - In the Examen de Fin d’Etudes Secondaires, 45 (bien) in English.
- The Netherlands - In the Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs (VWO) diploma, 7 (ruim voldoende) in English.
- Norway - In the Vitnemal - Grade 4 in English.
- Sweden - In the Avgangsbetyg, VG (val godkant) in English.
- Switzerland - In the Maturitatzeugnis/Certificat de Maturite/Attestato de Maturita federal maturity certificate or the federally-recognised cantonal maturity certificate, 5 (gut/bien/bene) in English.