The Annual PhD Awards Dinner
Our aim is to celebrate the achievements of our PhD researchers and supervisors and recognise how their research contributes to the overall mission and vision of the University.
The Awards ceremony will also feature the Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Final.
Dates and Times
The Annual PhD Awards Dinner will take place on the following date:
|Thursday 4 June 2020||7pm||Hilton Hotel, Belfast|
- Best PhD Thesis
- PhD Supervisor of the Year
- Best Festival Presentation
- Best Festival Poster
- 3MT® prizes
Best PhD Thesis
The Best PhD Thesis award is selected by each Faculty, with one winner from each. Nominations can be submitted by Supervisors, Research Directors and Postgraduate Tutors. Each Faculty will manage their own process and academic staff will be contacted with details on how to nominate a PhD Researcher for Best PhD Thesis Award.
For further information contact:
PhD Supervisor of the Year Award
The Ulster University PhD Supervisor of the Year award for excellence in research supervision is given to the individual who has created the most supportive, stimulating and inspirational research environment for PhD Researchers.
There will be one PhD Supervisor of the Year Award for each Faculty and nominations are invited from Research Directors, Postgraduate Tutors, PhD Researchers or Supervisors themselves.
Nominations close 6th April 2020.
Rules and Regulations
- Nominations open in January 2020.
- Nomination forms are to be submitted by 6th April 2020 and these will be received by the Doctoral College.
- Doctoral College will then send the nominations received to their respective Faculty.
- Each Faculty will convene a panel to consider the nominations and inform Doctoral College of the winner.
- Doctoral College will convene a panel of 4 ADRIs, Doctoral College representative and DVC to choose an overall winner to be submitted to the Times Higher Education (THE) Outstanding Supervisor of the Year process, details of which are provided as an attachment to this call.
- The Faculty PhD Supervisor of the Year awards will be presented at the Annual PhD Research Awards Dinner on 4th June 2020.
- Up to two sets of supporting documents may be submitted in PDF or Word format, but should in total comprise no more than four sides of A4.
- Supporting material may include photographs, tables, documents containing statistics, testimonials, supporting research, evaluation or inspection reports, press cutting and promotional material. Please highlight any sections that you believe are particularly relevant. Powerpoint slides and video files cannot be accepted, however you may submit screenshots.
Festival of PhD Research Prizes
The Doctoral College hosts an annual Festival of PhD Research at Ulster where we showcase and celebrate the excellent research carried out by our PhD Researchers.
As part of the Festival we award prizes for oral and poster presentations. The winners are selected by a judging panel. This year’s prizes are as follows:
- Best Presentation (Coleraine/Magee)
- Best Presentation (Belfast/Jordanstown)
- Best Poster (Coleraine/Magee)
- Best Poster (Belfast/Jordanstown)
The 3MT® final competition will take place during the awards dinner.
3MT® is an academic competition that challenges PhD researchers to communicate their research and its’ significance, in non-specialist language to a general audience, in just three minutes.
The 3MT® final will see 8 finalists present their research to the audience in just three minutes. The winner and runner-up prizes are decided by a judging panel, while the People’s Choice Award is decided by the audience on the night through a vote. The Ulster 3MT® competition is part of the national competition and the Ulster winner will go through to the UK semi-final stages.
For further information on the Awards Dinner please contact Lisa Thompson.
Doctoral Development Manager
Ulster University Doctoral College