The annual Festival showcases and celebrates PhD research excellence at Ulster. Each day normally includes keynote speakers, oral and poster presentations by PhD Researchers, Bake Your PhD and the 3MT Semi-Finals.
We look forward to hosting the Festival in due course.
What the PhD Researchers say about the Festival:
"I liked the celebration of PhD life at Ulster, I felt proud to be part of it all."
"The variety of research was amazing. The atmosphere was very friendly."
"Great way to network and learn about other PhD research"
'Brilliant atmosphere - loved the interdisciplinary nature of the event."
"I learned a lot from other PhD Researchers."
"...it gives you a real feeling of 'being at home'."
Three Minute Thesis (3MT) Competition 2021
The 3MT will take place in May 2021. Further details to follow.
More details on 3MT at: https://www.ulster.ac.uk/doctoralcollege/rdp/info/three-minute-thesis
Bake Your PhD
Researchers can bake anything (e.g. cake or other baked goods) that visually depicts any aspect of their research (e.g. from the physical samples, findings, methods employed in the project, or the research topic concepts and ideas). Further details to follow in the Weekly Update sent to your Ulster inbox each Wednesday.
Tips for success
- Think about the overarching concepts and ideas in your research, can you make an analogy of them with cake?
- It is not restricted to cake, we will also accept other edible baked goods; biscuits, pies, breads etc
- Try to incorporate your research into more than just the icing on the cake.
- While non-edible decorations are allowed, why not try making edible decorations to really impress the judges?!
- Think about your presentation to the judges. Impress them with a story or maybe incorporate moving parts or a demonstration to your presentation.
- Remember you don't have to represent all your research in one cake, pick your favourite or most interesting part and have fun with that!