Support enquiries regarding any aspect of services and facilities provided by the department.
The Service Desk is ISD's focal point for user support enquiries regarding any aspect of services and facilities provided by the department.
The Service Desk team receives enquiries and manages them to successful resolution.
We also deal with service disruptions, or incidents and problems, keeping the user community informed and providing reports to the relevant University committees.
The Service Desk incorporates responsibility for information services and for liaison with ICT support staff throughout the University whenever there is a requirement to implement change at an institutional level.
ISD Service Desk staff are currently working from home due to the Covid-19 outbreak and we appreciate your patience during these unprecedented times as we endeavour to provide you with the best support we can while also prioritising support for critical services and systems.
How you can helpYou can help us provide you with the most effective service possible during these challenging times by:
- Avoid contacting us by phone, as we are trying to reserve phone line for users who rely on voice calling due to possible personal WiFi access issues
- Use the UniDesk Self Service Portal as your primary method of contacting the ISD Service Desk to view knowledge base support materials, make service requests or raise issues
- Alternatively, use email email@example.com if you are unable to access UniDesk Self Service Portal
What information you should provide
We would appreciate it if you could provide the following information to assist us in triaging your call more efficiently.
- A brief description of the issue
- Include any error messages and relevant screenshots, where appropriate
- The date/time the issue started and any changes you are aware of since it last worked
- Any remedial action you have already tried
- If you're using a managed device, the device name (eg CESSD****)
- Where possible:
- the operating system you're using
- if you use a browser to access the system, which one you're using (e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari)
- if you have a software issue, which version are you using
Finally, please be patient with us as call volumes may fluctuate. We monitor this constantly and resource accordingly to endeavour to provide a speedy resolution to your issue.
Many thanks and best wishes
ISD Service Desk
How you can help yourself
Customers should, in the first instance, make use of the self-help Knowledge Base within the UniDesk Self-Service Portal (for access information, please see below).
You can also check the 'Frequently Asked Questions' on this website to see if the answer to your issue is there.
We also have a range of "self help" materials available online, where we provide guides for most of the popular desktop applications.
If the problem appears to be related to your machine:
- Ensure all cables are connected correctly and restart your PC/Mac
- Launch the application again that caused the problem
Faculty technical staff are responsible for maintaining the PCs and other equipment belonging to the faculty. If your problem is with your PC, you must contact your faculty technician in the first instance.
If your technician is unable to solve the problem then they should contact the Service Desk and our technical staff will provide guidance and assistance.
Using the Self-Service Portal
The UniDesk Self-Service Portal allows you to:
- view support materials in the Knowledge Base
- track calls that you have logged with our Service Desk
- log a call with our Service Desk for a new issue that is affecting you. (Calls logged via the Self-Service Portal are dealt with during University core hours only)
If you require more information on how to use the Unidesk Self-Service Portal, please refer to our Unidesk page, otherwise log in below using your Office 365 credentials (University email address and network password)
Issues that are not resolved via the Self Service Portal, or issues deemed to be urgent, must be reported directly to the ISD Service Desk (please see below).
What the Service Desk needs from you
When you contact the Service Desk students will be required to furnish their 'B' code and staff will need their 'e' or 'a' code. Depending on the request, users contacting the Service Desk by telephone may be required to provide further information to verify their identity.
Sometimes it may be easier to take a screen shot of the problem e.g. if an error code is displayed.
Rather than trying to describe the fault over the phone. Y
ou can press the 'PrtScn' key at the top right of your keyboard, copy it into an email and send it to the Service Desk.
We never ask for passwords
The Service Desk will never ask you to disclose your password either over the phone or by email.
For security reasons we will not send passwords to you via email.
How User Support Requests are processed
Staff, students and visitors whether on or off campus, can be given support by both telephone and email on a range of issues. Enquiries that are not resolved during the initial contact are logged by the Service Desk team and escalated to other sections within ISD.
We endeavour to resolve every call within an appropriate period.
Each logged call is given a unique Call ID number and the user may track the progress of their enquiry on our website via this number.
Users are contacted to ensure they are satisfied that their request has been resolved before the call is closed.
Information Services communication methods
Information Services endeavours to inform its users of any Service Interruptions or major IT-related incidents that may affect the whole University. They will also liaise with key contacts within faculties and departments to establish a co-ordinated approach to the resolution of the issue.
Details of planned and unplanned service interruptions or updates regarding any major IT-related incident will be provided as appropriate via
- the ISD Twitter channel
- the UniDesk Self-Service Portal under Current News
- other communications methods such as Global Mail-shots
Contact the Service Desk
In addition to core working hours, extended support is available from 5pm to 9am Weekdays, 24-hour Weekends, Bank Holidays and all year round.
Important note on the ISD Twitter Channel: Please note that our Twitter account is intended to provide information such as major service announcements and generic IT advice.
It is not intended to be used to provide IT support to individual staff and students. Please contact the Service Desk as per above arrangements with all support requests.