The Service Desk is Digital Services focal point for customer support enquiries.
The Service Desk is Digital Services focal point for customer support enquiries regarding any aspect of services and facilities provided by the department. The Service Desk team receives enquiries and manages them to successful resolution. If you have an issue that requires our attention, our first point of contact is our UniDesk Self-Service Portal.
Reasons to use the Self-Service Portal
The UniDesk Self-Service Portal allows staff, students and associates to:
- view support materials in the Knowledge Base
- track calls that you have logged with our Service Desk
- log a call with our Service Desk for a new issue that is affecting you. (Calls logged via the Self-Service Portal are dealt with during University core hours only.)
How to log into the Self-Service Portal
You access the system using your University Office 365 email account credentials (e.g. your University email address and the same network password used for the Portal and Email). Once you click the gold button below, when prompted by the Unidesk screen, select "Click here". If you are already logged into Office 365 on your browser session, the Self-Service Portal will automatically open. If not, you will be prompted to log in via the Office 365 login screen (same as for email).
Issues that are not resolved via the Self Service Portal, or issues deemed to be urgent, must be reported directly the Digital Services IT Service Desk (please see below).
Things to try before reporting an issue
- If the problem appears to be related to your machine:
- Ensure all cables are connected correctly and restart your PC/Mac
- Launch the application again that caused the problem
- Contact Your Faculty / Departmental Technician. Faculty technical staff are responsible for maintaining the PCs and other equipment belonging to the faculty. If your problem is with your PC, you must contact your faculty technician in the first instance. If your technician is unable to solve the problem then they should contact the Service Desk and our technical staff will provide guidance and assistance.
Contacting the Service Desk
Information the Service Desk will require
When you contact the Service Desk students will be required to furnish their 'B' code and staff will need their 'e' or 'a' code. Depending on the request, users contacting the Service Desk by telephone may be required to provide further information to verify their identity.
Sometimes it may be easier to take a screen shot of the problem e.g. if an error code is displayed. Rather than trying to describe the fault over the phone. You can press the 'Prt Sc' key at the top right of your keyboard, copy it into an email and send it to the Service Desk.
NOTE! The Service Desk will never ask you to disclose your password either over the phone or by email. For security reasons we will not send passwords to you via email.
Handling of Support Requests
Staff, students and visitors whether on or off campus, can be given support by both telephone and email on a range of issues. Enquiries that are not resolved during the initial contact are logged by the Service Desk team and escalated to other sections within Digital Services.
We endeavour to resolve every call within an appropriate period. Each logged call is given a unique Call ID number and the user may track the progress of their enquiry on our website via this number. Users are contacted to ensure they are satisfied that their request has been resolved before the call is closed.
Major IT-related Incidents
When an IT-related incident occurs that affects the whole University, the Service Desk will liaise with key contacts within faculties and departments to establish a co-ordinated approach to the resolution of the issue.
How to contact the Service Desk
Service Desk Hours
Semester 1 and 2
Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm
Saturday – Sunday 1pm – 5pm
All other times except extended closure
Monday - Thursday 8am - 5pm
Friday 8am - 4pm