Information for international students

International students

If you have obtained an undergraduate degree from a non-UK institution, we can advise you how it compares to the UK system.

If you are successful in obtaining admission as an international student, you will need to ensure that you have a visa that allows you to study in the UK.

The University welcomes applications from international students and thrives on the diversity that our international students bring to the University.

The application process is the same for all students, but as international students, you need to ensure that you obtain the right visa to come to Northern Ireland to study.

We can help you with this process and the following links below should provide more information.

What you need to apply

Our entry requirements for research degree programmes state that you should hold or expect to hold a First or Upper Second Class Honours degree in a relevant area.

The Doctoral College will assess your qualifications against the UK NARIC system, which compares international qualifications against the UK system. It is therefore important that you submit your degree certificates and transcripts in both the original language and in translation.

In terms of English language proficiency, international students who require a Tier 4 visa will need to take a UK Home Office approved Secure English Language Test (SELT). The two approved providers are Trinity College London and IELTS.

If you have studied at a UK institution or are from a majority English speaking country as per the Home Office’s list, you are exempt from having to provide this evidence.

Next steps

If you are successful in your application for admission, the University will issue you with a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) which will allow you to apply for a Tier 4 study visa.

Visa information

Information regarding visas and the points based immigration system.
ATAS Certificate (Academic Technology Approval Scheme), which students studying in certain fields will require in order to obtain a visa
UKCISA - UK Council for International Student Affairs
General information from the Home Office

Financial Information for Self-funded International Students

International students who are successful in being offered self-funded admission onto research studies at Ulster University will be required to do the following before any visa documentation can be issued:

  1. Pay a non-refundable deposit of £2000. This amount will be deducted from your tuition fees on registration.
  2. Provide us with evidence that you have sufficient funds in your account to cover the first year's tuition fees (minus the deposit amount), plus the necessary amount for living expenses.

Further details on acceptable forms of evidence and the amount of money you are required to hold in your account can be found on the UK CISA website.

Ulster University Doctoral College - Social