PhD ‘Modelling diffuse phosphorus loads from land to freshwater’, Ulster University, 1999
BSc Hons Geography, University of Leeds, 1995
PGCert Countryside Management, University of Wales, 1987
Phil contributes to teaching in all years of the undergraduate programmes, including field schools (and with supervisory roles at postgraduate level), relating to global and regional scale hydrological processes, freshwater resource management and environmental policy.
Phil’s research follows several themes within a catchment science framework:
- Nutrient and sediment dynamics and fate in river and lake catchments.
- High resolution monitoring of pollution dynamics in rivers.
- Biogeochemical interactions within freshwater ecosystems.
- Risk assessment of critical source areas/times of pollution at multiple scales.
- Agri-environmental policy development and review.