Dr Nigel Irwin
Dr Nigel Irwin holds a BSc Hons in Biomedical Sciences from Ulster University (2001) and a PhD in Experimental Therapeutics for Diabetes also from Ulster (2004). He also has a Diploma in Industrial Studies (2001) and is a Fellow of HEA (2008).
Nigel began his research career in diabetes during his time as a Research Assistant in Diabetes/Electrophysiology, at University of Nevada, Reno (2000-2001). This was followed by appointment at Ulster as a Research Associate (2004-2007) and a Research Fellow (2007-2009) in Diabetes. He then became a Lecturer in Pharmacology (2009-2014) and Senior Lecturer in 2014.
He has almost 20 years experience in diabetes research with specific expertise in exploitation of gut-derived peptides for the treatment of diabetes and related disorders. His recent research has been integral in deciphering the link between diabetes and increased bone fracture risk.
Nigel is holder of several families of patents, is the recipient of research awards, and a member of healthcare science advisory boards as well as engaging in consultant activity.
He is also a member of several professional societies/committees and holds editorial roles for various respected Journals.
- New perspectives on gut peptides for the treatment of diabetes
- Pharmacological characterisation of current and novel antidiabetic drugs
- Diabetes and bone quality
- Drug Discovery
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Module Co-ordinator
- Senior Radiation Protection supervisor
- School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical science undergraduate attendance monitor
- Various Editor-in-Chief and journal editorial roles