About English Language and Literature
A national centre for literary, biographical and creative writing, we nurture and promote the careers of the next generation of scholars in English.
We are a vibrant group of internationally recognised researchers. We are committed to exploring the meaning and significance of literatures in English from the Renaissance to the present day.
English at Ulster has consistently produced 4* (world-leading) and 3* (internationally excellent) research. In REF2014 over 80% of our publications and over 60% of the impact of our work on policy and practice beyond Ulster was rated at these levels.
We aim to
- Act as a key national centre for literary, biographical and creative writing
- Produce writing of the highest standard across all our research specialisms
- Nurture and promote the careers of the next generation of scholars in English
- Share our work in partnership with schools, government, the media and the public
Our research falls into the following main themes
- Writing in English from 1500 to the present day
- Literary Biography
- Ulster-Scots Literary and Cultural Studies
- Creative Writing
Our research has helped broadcasters by providing consultancy on literature and authors which has led to the creation of many television documentaries and films.
We have the only centres for Literary Biography and Ulster-Scots Studies in the world. These produce world leading research in their fields, and share this knowledge through networks, conferences, exhibitions, consultancy and outreach.
We are a member of University English and the European Society for the Study of English. We are engaged in many international networks in literature and bibliography studies.