Page content

If you are travelling to Northern Ireland on a connecting fight from an airport in England then your baggage allowance should be the same on each fight but you should check this beforehand as some domestic airlines may charge you excess fees.

What to bring in your hand luggage

Here is some advice on what you should bring in your carry on bag:

  • Passport
  • Student Visitor Visa Letter
  • Travel/fight tickets * British currency/travellers cheques/bank information plus copies
  • CAS Statement - students visa holders only
  • ATAS Certificate (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) Certificate (if required)
  • Proof that you have money to pay your fees and support yourself – if you are an EEA national or ISEP student you will probably not need to prove this. Evidence of your finances (bank statement, sponsor’s letter)
  • Original academic qualification certificates
  • Letter of Offer and letter confirming accepted offer of place at Ulster.
  • Documents that may be needed if you are travelling with family – birth/ marriage certificates
  • Accommodation confirmation letter
  • Contact details for your accommodation
  • Insurance documents (travel and health)
  • Record of travellers cheques or bank information
  • Mobile phone, charger and UK plug adapter
  • Medication – If you are bringing prescribed medication with you to the UK, carry a letter from your doctor in your hand luggage explaining what the medication is. Please ensure the letter is translated into English.
  • Warm clothes in case it’s cold when you arrive.

Label your luggage

Make sure you have labelled your luggage clearly.

The label should have your full name, your UK term time address and your contact number.

Top Tips

You may also want to put a label inside your luggage – this will assist in getting your luggage returned to you if the external label has been lost or torn off.

Tie a multi-coloured scarf or ribbon to your luggage so that you can distinguish it on the baggage carousel at the airport.

How much luggage to bring

Check the ‘size and weight’ restrictions for luggage with your airline

You will have to carry your luggage, therefore only pack as much as you can carry

Many items can be bought economically in the UK from shops such as Poundland, Poundstretchers and B&M so you may not need to bring them from home, for example: - toiletries e.g. toothpaste, shower gel, soap, deodorant - bedding - kitchen utensils - Adapter for electrical equipment - AA/AAA batteries

If you need to bring more luggage to the UK, arrange for your family in your home country to send your remaining possessions to the UK once you have settled and moved into your permanent accommodation.

There are several student shipping, storage and removals companies that could help you with your luggage delivery, why not check out:

What you cannot bring in your luggage

You’ll find more information on restricted or prohibited items on planes.

Please ensure that you DO NOT pack any sharp items (e.g. scissors, tweezers, nail clippers) or liquids which exceed 100ml in your HAND LUGGAGE.

Make sure you check the safety rules and luggage regulations of your airline that you are travelling with.

We advise that you do not bring electrical equipment with you.

British electrical voltage is 240 volt and electrical equipment has a three-pin plug. The voltage and plugs will be different in your country. If you do bring electrical equipment you will need to purchase an adapter.

You’ll find some more helpful hints and tips on what you should and should not bring with you.

Lost/delayed luggage

When you arrive at your destination airport and if you think your luggage has been lost or delayed then you should speak to staff at the information desk at the airport.

The member of staff may ask you to produce your fight ticket and provide a description of your luggage, e.g. size, colour and any labels.

The member of staff will note down all of your details and issue you with a reference number for your luggage and contact details – keep these details safe.

You should give details of your term-time address, either for your student residence or private accommodation and your luggage can then be forwarded to you at that address.

Then, leave the baggage hall and continue your journey through to customs control.

You should let the staff at the University Accommodation Office or someone at your private accommodation know about any lost/delayed luggage and advise them about a time to expect delivery.

Top Tip

Take photographs of your luggage so that if it’s lost you can give these to staff at the airport – it should make it easier for them to trace your bags.