Find out more about the cost of living in the UK and managing your money.

British currency is made up of pounds (£) and pence (p) and is known as Sterling.  One hundred pence equals one pound – 100p = £1.  Check out this video for some more useful advice on British currency.

In Northern Ireland we use four different denominations of banknotes, £5, £10, £20 and £50.  As well as using Bank of England and Scottish banknotes we also use banknotes issued by the major Northern Ireland banks (Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, Danske Bank and First Trust Bank).


In this section


A guide to living costs in Northern Ireland.

Bank Accounts

Things to consider when opening a bank account in the UK.