Professor Stephen McClean
Associate Head of School of Biomedical Sciences
Prof Stephen McClean began his career at Ulster as a Research officer in Bioanalytical Chemistry in 1999. He became a Lecturer in Proteomics in 2001 before being promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2009 and Professor of Bioscience Education in 2017.
He is the author of over 70 peer-reviewed publications (h-index 26), a patent holder, and has given presentations at national and international conferences.
- BSc Hons Science with Business, DIS (Commendation) from Ulster University (1994),
- MRes (Distinction), Ulster University (1996),
- DPhil, Ulster University (1999)
- The isolation and characterisation of bioactive peptides and small molecules from amphibian skin secretions, reptile and arachnid venoms, particularly with application to the field of diabetes.
- Application of mass spectrometry methodologies for analytical problem-solving in the biosciences.
- Introductory chemistry, analytical and peptidomic methodologies, natural product discovery and biochemistry.
- Academic Lead for Education within the School of Biomedical Sciences.
- Module coordinator for: Chemistry in Practice, Biochemistry and Analytical Methodology.