Dr Poonam Singh - Nee Nigam
Senior Lecturer in Biotechnology
- School of Biomedical Sciences
- Research Institute
- Biomedical Sciences Research Institute
- Coleraine campus
- +44 28 7012 4053
Dr Poonam Singh Nigam holds a PhD in Industrial Microbiology (1985) with the award of Research Fellowship from Council of Scientific and Industrial Research of India.
She was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Germany (1985-1988) before joining the research staff at Ulster University in 1990. She became a Lecturer in 1996 before being promoted to Senior Lecturer.
Poonam became a Chartered Biologist in 1992 and received her Postgraduate Certificate in university teaching in 1998.
She is a Senior Fellow in the The Higher Education Academy, and a Fellow for Centre of Higher Education Research & Practice, International Forum on Industrial Bioprocesses, and the Biotechnology Research Society.
Her research interests include industrial and applied microbiology and fermentation technology in the area of Environmental, Food, and pharmaceutical.
Poona has one EU Patent, four biotechnology reference books, more than 300 peer reviewed papers, chapters and review articles, with Citations
- Industrial and applied microbiology and biotechnology.
- Course Director Biotechnology Postgraduate program (2000-present)
- Food Biotechnology Postgraduate program (2000-2013)
- module coordinator various modules at undergraduate and postgraduate level (1996-present).
Showing 1 to 10 of 347 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Total Phenols, Antioxidant Capacity and Antibacterial Activity of Manuka Honey Chemical ConstituentsJournal of Advances in Biology & BiotechnologyDate: (2017)
- Total Phenols, Antioxidant Capacity and Antibacterial Activity of Manuka Honey ExtractJournal of Advances in Biology & BiotechnologyDate: (2017)
- Growth adaptation of probiotics in biopolymer-based coacervatestructures to enhance cell viabilityLWT - Food Science and TechnologyDate: (2017)
- An overview: Recycling of solid barley waste generated as a by-productin distillery and breweryWaste ManagementDate: (2017)
- Enhanced probiotic viability and aromatic profile of yogurts produced using wheat bran (Triticum aestivum) as cell immobilization carrierProcess BiochemistryDate: (2017)
- An Overview of Microorganisms’ Contribution and Performance in Alcohol Fermentation Processing a Variety of SubstratesCurrent BiotechnologyDate: (2017)
- Production, Isolation and Purification of industrial products. Book no 8 in Elsevier Book series of 9 Books – titled "Current Developments in Biotechnology and Bioengineering".Date: (2017)
- A Combination of Curcumin from Turmeric and Alpha-linolenic Acid Shows Antagonism with MCF-7 Breast Cancer Cells in Phenol-red Free MediumJournal of Applied Life Sciences InternationalDate: (2016)
- Evaluation of Manuka Honey Estrogen Activity Using the MCF-7 Cell Proliferation AssayJournal of Advances in Biology & BiotechnologyDate: (2016)
- Manuka Honey-induced Cytotoxicity against MCF7 Breast Cancer Cells is Correlated to Total Phenol Content and Antioxidant PowerJournal of Advances in Biology & BiotechnologyDate: (2016)