Dr Karen Boyce Senior Lecturer
- School of the Built Environment
- Research Institute
- Built Environment
- Jordanstown campus
- +44 (0)28 903 68703
Dr Karen Boyce is a Senior Lecturer in School of the Built Environment and has been a member of FireSERT, working in the area of human behaviour in fire, for 27 years. Her research interests are primarily on the provision of data and information in relation to the behaviour and movement of occupants during evacuation and her PhD research (1996) focused on the capabilities of people with disabilities to evacuate.
High profile projects have included an EPSRC funded investigation into the behaviours of evacuees of World Trade Centre on 9/11. She is the author of over 60 research publications and current Chair of the Programme Committee for the International Symposium Human Behaviour in Fire series. She was Guest Editor of special editions of Fire and Materials in 2012 and 2015 and is currently a member of the Editorial Boards of open access journals Fire Science Reviews and Case Studies in Fire Safety and a member of the Advisory Board of Fire and Materials. She recently co-wrote a chapter entitled Engineering Data for the 4th Edition of the Society of Fire Protection Engineers Handbook and is Co-chair of the Planning Committee for the 12th International Association of Fire Safety Science Symposium.
Showing 1 to 5 of 39 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- A STUDY OF HUMAN BEHAVIOUR DURING EVACUATION OF LICENSED PREMISESDate: (2015)Creators: Boyce, Karen and McConnell, N C
- An investigation into the circumstances surrounding fatal dwelling fires involving very young childrenFire Safety JournalDate: (2013)Creators: Harpur, AP, Boyce, KE and McConnell, NC
- Refuge areas and vertical evacuation of multistorey buildings: the end users' perspectivesFire and MaterialsDate: (2013)Creators: McConnell, Nigel and Boyce, Karen
- Experimental studies to investigate merging behaviour in a staircaseFire and MaterialsDate: (2012)Creators: Boyce, Karen, Purser, David A. and Shields, T. Jim
- The UK 9/11 evacuation study: Analysis of survivors' recognition and response phase in WTC1Fire Safety JournalDate: (2010)Creators: McConnell, Nigel, Boyce, Karen, Shields, Jim, Galea, Ed, Day, Rachel and Hulse, Lynn