Dr Jianping Zhang
- Belfast School of Architecture and the Built Environment
- Research Institute
- Built Environment Research Institute
- Jordanstown campus
- +44 28 9036 6460
Jianping Zhang is a Lecturer in Fire Dynamics and Materials at the School of Built Environment. He holds a BEng (Honours) degree in Mechanical Engineering from Southwest Jiaotong University in China.
After obtaining his PhD on "Numerical modelling of pool fires and flame spread" at Kingston University in 2005, he joined the University of Ulster working as a research associate in the FP6 project PredFIRE-Nano, in which he was responsible for the development and validation of a complete methodology for predicting the burning behaviours of polymer nanocomposites based on intrinsic properties extracted from micro- and small-scale tests.
After PredFIRE-Nano, he worked in several FP7 projects including ENFIRO, AircraftFire and ELISSA as well as projects funded by local companies and UK government (Atomic Weapons Establishment). His research interests consist of fundamental experimental investigation of material flammability and fire dynamics, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modelling of flames and fires, numerical analysis of heat transfer and pyrolysis of solids, and application of quantitative risk analysis in fire safety engineering.
He has published widely in the fields of fire safety, material flammability and combustion, including two book chapters and more than 30 peer-reviewed journal articles.
Showing 1 to 10 of 48 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Characterization of flammability and fire resistance of carbon fibre reinforced thermoset and thermoplastic composite materialsJournal of Loss Prevention in the Process IndustriesDate: (2017)
- Spontaneous combustion coal parameters for the Crossing-Point Temperature (CPT) method in a Temperature-Programmed System (TPS)Fire Safety JournalDate: (2017)
- Fire performance of brominated and halogen-free flame retardants in glass-fibre reinforced poly(butylene terephthalate)Fire and MaterialsDate: (2017)
- Numerical and experimental validation study of flame extent of a pool fire under the ceilingJournal of Loss Prevention in the Process IndustriesDate: (2017)
- Experimental investigation and numerical modelling of the fire performance for epoxy resin carbon fibre composites of variable thicknessesFire and MaterialsDate: (2017)
- An Analytical Method for the Estimation of Radiation Heat Flux from Open Pool Fires and Pool Fires Impinging on CeilingsFire Science and TechnologyDate: (2016)
- Vertical safe separation distance between openings in multi-storey buildings having a fire resistant spandrelMATEC Web of ConferencesDate: (2016)
- Comparison of methods for thermal analysis: Application to PEEK and a composite PEEK + CFJournal of Fire ScienceDate: (2015)
- Simplified structure of the condensed phase of fire retarded PA6 nanocomposites in TGA as related flammabilityFire Safety JournalDate: (2014)
- Flame extinction properties of solids obtained from limiting oxygen index testsCombustion and FlameDate: (2014)
|Fire Dynamics and Material||Monday 19 February 2018||View Details|
|Human Behavior and Risk Assessment in Fire and Emergencies||Monday 19 February 2018||View Details|
Annual PhD Studentship Competition for 2018/19 entry
Apply before 19 February 2018