Professor Christopher Nugent
Director of the Computer Science Research Institute
- School of Computing & Maths
- Research Institute
- Computer Science
- Jordanstown campus
- +44 28 9036 8330
Chris is the Director of the Computer Science Research Institute and holds the position of Professor of Biomedical Engineering. He is based within the School of Computing and Mathematics at Ulster University.
He received a Bachelor of Engineering in Electronic Systems and DPhil in Biomedical Engineering both from Ulster University. Chris joined the University as a Research Fellow in 1999 and was appointed as Lecture in Computer Science in 2000. Following this he held positions of Senior Lecture and Reader within the Faculty of Computing and Engineering before his appointment as Professor of Biomedical Engineering in 2008. In 2016 he was awarded the Senior Distinguished Research Fellowship from Ulster University,
His research within biomedical engineering addresses the themes of the development and evaluation of technologies to support ambient assisted living. Specifically, this has involved research in the topics of mobile based reminding solutions, activity recognition and behaviour modelling and more recently technology adoption modelling. He has published extensively in these areas with papers spanning theoretical, clinical and biomedical engineering domains. He has been a grant holder of Research Projects funded by National, European and International funding bodies.
Chris is the Group Leader of the Smart Environments Research Group and also the co-PI of the Connected Health Innovation Centre at Ulster University.
Showing 1 to 10 of 397 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Quantifying health literacy and eHealth literacy using existing instruments and browser-based software for tracking online health information seeking behaviorComputers in Human BehaviorDate: (2017)
- From Activity Recognition to Intention Recognition for Assisted Living Within Smart HomesIEEE Transactions on Human-Machine SystemsDate: (2017)
- Sensor-Based Change Detection for Timely Solicitation of User EngagementIEEE Transactions on Mobile ComputingDate: (2016)
- A Personalized Self-Management Rehabilitation System for Stroke Survivors: A Quantitative Gait Analysis Using a Smart InsoleJMIR Rehabilitation and Assistive TechnologiesDate: (2016)
- Optimizing the configuration of an heterogeneous architecture of sensors for activity recognition, using the extended belief rule-based inference methodologyMicroprocessors and MicrosystemsDate: (2016)
- An approach to provide dynamic, illustrative, video-based guidance within a goal-driven smart homeJournal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized ComputingDate: (2016)
- Optimal Parameter Exploration for Online Change-Point Detection in Activity Monitoring Using Genetic AlgorithmsSensorsDate: (2016)
- Comparison of fiducial marker detection and object interaction in activities of daily living utilising a wearable vision sensorInternational Journal of Communication SystemsDate: (2016)
- Indoor Localisation Through Object Detection on Real-Time Video Implementing a Single Wearable CameraIFMBE ProceedingsDate: (2016)
- Modelling assistive technology adoption for people with dementiaJournal of Biomedical InformaticsDate: (2016)