Dr Brian Bridges
Research Director - Music, Drama, Dance and the Performing Arts
Brian Bridges is a graduate of Trinity College Dublin (MPhil in Music and Media Technologies) and National University of Ireland, Maynooth (BA in English and Music; PhD in Music) and is a composer/sonic artist, electronic musician and researcher. He studied in Ireland with composers Donnacha Dennehy, Roger Doyle and Jürgen Simpson (TCD) and Victor Lazzarini (Maynooth), in addition to private studies in the US with Glenn Branca and Tony Conrad. He is a founder–member of the Dublin–based Spatial Music Collective and his compositions have been programmed at festivals in Europe, the Americas and China. He has received support and commissions from arts organisations including the Arts Council of Ireland, Culture Ireland, the Contemporary Music Centre and Resonance FM.
Much of Brian’s work is inspired by connections between perceptual processes, creative practices and technologies. His creative work includes sound–based installations, audiovisual pieces and electroacoustic and acoustic composition, including microtonal and spatial music. Other interests include the application of embodied models to musical practices and the design of performance systems and interfaces, and modes of interdisciplinary practices encompassing arts/humanities and STEM (see Hearts of STEM project, 2016–present). Brian is interested in hearing from potential collaborators or PhD students with project ideas related to the topics above.
- President: Irish Sound, Science and Technology Association (2017–present)
- External Examiner: Trinity College Dublin, MPhil in Music and Media Technologies (2017/18–2020)
- External Examiner: Dundalk Institute of Technology, BA (Hons) Applied Music (2017/18-2020)
- Vice–president: Irish Sound, Science and Technology Association (2015–2017)
- Editorial board: Interference: A Journal of Audio Culture (2014–present)
- Represented composer: Contemporary Music Centre, Ireland
- Founder–member: Spatial Music Collective (2006–present)
|Music (Creative Practice and/ or Contextual Studies) Funded PhD Opportunity||Friday 26 February 2021||View Details|
|Music, Drama, Dance, Performing Arts, Film and Screen Studies (including Heritage and Museum Studies)||N/A||View Details|