Student Leaver IT Access
IT Checklist for anyone graduating or leaving the University
Upon completion of your studies, you will have a limited 6 month window to access your Student IT account. After this time your student IT account and its associated data will be deleted. The removal of your IT account is essential for your own privacy and security. The IT systems and services that will become unavailable to students not returning to a new programme of study includes:
- Email (your email@example.com email address) – NB please review and remove any forwarding rules
- OneDrive (your personalised cloud-storage
- MS Teams
- Student Portal
- Blackboard Learn (the virtual learning environment)
- University student workstation access in Library and IT Laboratories
- Printing Facilities
- Student Software including Microsoft 365 Applications installed using the University license
Things to do before you leave
Move your data to a personal non-University storage facility
If you wish to retain emails or files from your OneDrive cloud storage, you must download these before your access is withdrawn. You may also wish to purchase your own license to Microsoft Office Applications via the Microsoft web store.
Unsubscribe from mailing lists
If you have subscribed to any mailing lists, please remember to cancel them before you leave.
Update external website registrations to a personal email address
If you have registered your @ulster email address with any websites external to the University, please contact them in advance of leaving the University to update your registered email to a personal email address to ensure that you can continue to sign in after access to your University account ceases.
Note - Digital Services staff cannot assist you in moving your data, but we have provided some guidance below on Backing up your University Data.
Backing up your University Data
Any important emails should be forwarded to your personal email account:
- Open your email in a browser via www.office.com
- Open an email and click 'Forward'
- Input your personal email address and 'Send'
Note: you cannot bulk send more than one email at a time
- Visit OneDrive in your browser via www.office.com
- Tick all of the files and folders you wish to take a copy of and once selected, select Download:
- This will then place all the folders/files you have selected into a ZIP folder and will downloaded to your downloads folder unless you have specified otherwise
Note: you cannot download OneNote files, they must be transferred within OneNote to a new notebook on a different account
- To download files from a Team within the Microsoft Teams app, open Microsoft Teams from www.office.com
- Select the 'Teams' section of the navigation pane
- Once on the Teams page, select the team you wish to copy the files from
- When Inside the Team, select the channel you wish to download files from, then select the 'file' tab of this channel,
- Press 'download' to download the entire content of the channel's file tab to a ZIP folder
Note: this download will be saved to your Downloads folder on your computer unless you specify otherwise
Adobe Creative Cloud
- Visit the Adobe Creative Cloud webpage and click 'Sign in'
- Log on using your University email address
- Click 'Files' at the top then 'Synced files'
- Select 1 of your files to download, click the 3 dots icon, then click 'Download'
Note: you cannot select more than one file to download