Library Borrowing: Fines & Other Charges
Fines can be paid (cash or cheque) at the library desk or students & staff may use our online payment facility.
Full details of loan categories and associated fines can be found on the Library Borrowing page. Fines are in place to increase the availability of materials by encouraging users to return materials for the benefit of other Library users. The Library understands that in some circumstances it can be difficult to return or renew books or other materials on time. Library users are encouraged to contact the Library as soon as possible if they experience any difficulties.
Fines are calculated according to the category of material. High demand materials are available to borrow for shorter periods and higher charges apply if such material is returned late. The current maximum fine that can be charged for each item is £10.
If a Library account has fines in excess of £5 a Library user will not be able to renew, reserve or borrow any materials.
The Library will apply charging policies in a fair and consistent manner. Fines may be waived or reduced only where exceptional circumstances apply, for example, when a user has been ill. The Library will waive any fines incurred due to Library error.
The Library will encourage all users to avoid accruing fines by:
- Regularly checking their Library record via "My account" which can be viewed and managed at the self-service kiosks in the Library or online (Ulster students and staff only).
- Renewing materials online before they become overdue.
- Keeping any receipt generated at time of issue as a reminder of when the item is due back.
- Checking emails from Ulster University Library. Users will be reminded by email before materials become overdue or if an item has been recalled for use by someone else. If a user believes the details in an email notification are incorrect, it is their responsibility to contact the Library immediately.
- Non receipt of a 'reminder' email is not acceptable as a valid reason for not returning an item. It is a Library user's responsibility to check the due date and return materials by the date specified.
- Users should not lend their Library card or any Library materials issued to them to anyone else. All Library materials issued on an individual's Library card are their responsibility.
- Materials on loan may be recalled after a minimum of seven days if required by another library user. A reservation on material on loan will block any renewal of this item by the current user.
Overdue notices are sent by email as a courtesy to Library users. Staff and students of the University will get these notices via their University email account. Alumni, SCONUL, Inspire and any other Library users should check the email account they used to register with the Ulster University Library. Failure to receive notices sent by the Library does not negate a user's obligation to return material by the due date, nor does it constitute grounds for reducing fines.
How does the Library spend fines money?
All fines money is used to support the student library experience. This includes purchasing additional copies of high demand texts.
Lost or damaged items
There is a standard charge of £20.00 for each lost or damaged item. Please contact the library directly if any items you have borrowed have been lost or damaged.