How to apply as an Exchange/Study Abroad Student
Learn more about how to apply as a Study Abroad or Exchange Student
Before you submit an online application, you will need to confirm that your home university has a student exchange/study abroad agreement with us.
Important update for EEA nationals (excluding the Republic of Ireland)
For EEA nationals entering the UK on or after 01/01/21:
- up to 6 months will require immigration permission as a visitor. You can apply for permission at the UK border.
- more than 6 months will require immigration permission through the Student Visa route. You must apply for permission before travelling to the UK.
Your home institution must send an email nomination on your behalf to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations must include the following:
- Applicant's full name
- E-mail address
- Proposed length of stay (Semester 1, 2 or both)
- Subject area
- Level (Undergraduate or Postgraduate)
In order to assess your application, your latest transcript is required from your home institution. This must include your current Grade Point Average (GPA) and modules (classes) completed to date.
Our GPA requirement is 3.0 or equivalent.
All transcripts submitted must be official and include:
- Name of your home institution/university
- Name of your programme of study, course or major
- List of all completed modules (courses) to date
- GPA or equivalent
English Language requirements
Any students requiring a Student Visa (EU nationals included) will have to meet the minimum English language requirements of CEFR B2 (in all four components) for degree level study.
They must also meet the university’s English language requirements if these are higher. They can demonstrate that they meet the requirements using tests/qualifications that have been approved by the university.
Students coming for one semester only will not need a Student visa ad therefore must meet the university’s English language requirements only.
2. Invitation to Apply
Once we receive your nomination e-mail and transcript, you will be invited to apply.
3. Submit your Application
Go to the online application portal.
1. Create a log in ID and password
- the login ID must be unique to you and up to 9 characters
- the PIN must be six numeric characters
- remember these details as you will be able to save and return to your application as many times as you like before finally submitting it.
2. From the drop-down menu select the application type: Exchange/Study Abroad.
3. In the programme choice drop down menu select Erasmus or Study Abroad.
4. Enter your campus, subject and semester of study. If you are an Erasmus student, you will need your home institution Erasmus code.
4. Application Received
Once your application is received, you may be asked for further documentation such as your English language evidence, passport, or portfolio etc.
You will receive an e-mail once your application has been accepted.
Please note that certain modules within the Belfast School of Art and Belfast School of Architecture require a portfolio.
Contact us at email@example.com if you need help or guidance.