John J. Sweeney Scholarship 2021 (Supporting US students undertaking a full-time MSc or MA)
This special scholarship is named in honour of AFL-CIO President Emeritus John J. Sweeney, the son of Irish immigrants, who dedicated his life to advancing the well-being of working people, making outstanding contributions to working people both in the US and internationally which will live on for years to come.
The John J Sweeney Scholarship has a value of $20,000 and that is used towards the Scholar’s tuition fees for an MA or MSc at Ulster University.
This scholarship is generously supported by funds raised by the AFL-CIO, the American Labor community, business and civic organisations, and individuals.
*Any balance remaining may be used to purchase study materials/equipment, support course-related activities and/or in support of the Scholar’s living expenses and travel costs.
The John J Sweeney Scholarship supports US students enrolled to study full-time on the following MSc or MA at Ulster University:
- Access to Justice, Master of Laws
- Community Youth Work, Master of Science
- Construction Business and Leadership (with management specialisms), Master of Science
- Executive Leadership, Master of Science
- Human Rights Law and Transitional Justice, Master of Laws
- Management and Corporate Governance, Master of Science
- Manufacturing Management, Master of Science
- Peace and Conflict Studies, Master of Science
- Social Policy, Master of Science
The Scholarship will be open to all US citizens who:
- Have been offered a full-time place on one of the above MSc or MA and have made a firm commitment to Ulster University during the admissions phase;
- Are a US union member; or;
- Have a familial connection to a US union member (mother, father, sibling, aunt, uncle, grandparent); or;
- Can provide a reference letter from a union sponsor.
How to apply
- Candidates must apply via the online application form
- Applicants must ensure that all sections of the application form are completed with all additional requirements attached to the application.
- Scanned copy of original degree certificate
- Where applicable, reference letter from a Union sponsor
- 500 - 750 word personal statement
- Two reference letters
- A scanned copy of their US passport
Application forms must be submitted by midnight (GMT time) 30th April 2021.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions.
Global Recruitment and Engagement *