English Language Requirements
A list of acceptable tests for UK/EU students as well as those acceptable for International Students.
English language proficiency is a vital skill whilst undertaking a research degree. Applicants are therefore expected to provide evidence of their proficiency in English by way of an approved test.
We accept a wide range of English language examinations and tests, please check the full list of accepted tests below.
Applicants from EU and the UK
Applicants from the EU (part-time and/or UK residents) and the UK may alternatively provide one of the tests and qualifications listed below. Full-time EU researchers who require a Student Visa must hold one of the recognised tests listed via the link above.
- GCSE/IGCSE English Language - Pass at Grade C
- Irish Leaving Certificate English - Grade C
- Scottish Higher or Standard Grade English - Grade C
- IELTS Academic - Overall grade 6.0, with a minimum of 5.5 in each component
- Cambridge English Certificates
- Preliminary - Pass with distinction and Exceptional in all 4 components
- First - Pass at Grade B OR Pass at Grade C plus Borderline in all 4 components
- Advanced - Pass at Level B2 and Weak in all 4 components
- Business – Pass with Distinction and Exceptional in all 4 components
- Business Vantage – Pass at Grade B OR Pass at Grade C plus Borderline in all 4 components
- Business Higher – Pass at Level B2 and Weak in all 4 components
- Legal – Pass at B2 and Borderline in all 4 components
- Financial – Pass at B2 and Borderline in all 4 components
- City & Guilds (Pitman Examination in International ESOL) - Pass at Mastery level when achieved with a pass at Mastery level in the Pitman International Spoken (ISESOL) test.
- IGCSE English as a Second Language, Syllabus 0510 - Pass at Grade C
- International Baccalaureate (IB) - IB Standard or Higher Level English – Grade 4
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) - 61 or above with a minimum of 51 in each of the 4 components
European School Leaving/Matriculation Certificates
- Austria - In the Matura/Reifeprufung, 2 (gut) in English when both written and oral examinations have been taken.
- Belgium - In the Diploma van Secundair or the Certificat d’Enseignement Secondaire Superieur, the equivalent of 8/80%/grote onderscheiding/avec grande distinction in English.
- Denmark - In the Studentereksamen, 10 in English. European Baccalaureate – Grade 6.5 in English
- Finland - In the Ylioppilastutkinto/Studentexamen matriculation examination, 5 (magna cum laude approbatur) in English.
- France - In the Baccalaureat l’option international, Grade 11 in English
- Germany - In the Abitur, 11 in English
- Iceland - In the Students prof matriculation examination, 8 in English when taken as a compulsory modern language.
- Luxembourg - In the Examen de Fin d’Etudes Secondaires, 45 (bien) in English.
- The Netherlands - In the Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs (VWO) diploma, 7 (ruim voldoende) in English.
- Norway - In the Vitnemal - Grade 4 in English.
- Sweden - In the Avgangsbetyg, VG (val godkant) in English.
- Switzerland - In the Maturitatzeugnis/Certificat de Maturite/Attestato de Maturita federal maturity certificate or the federally-recognised cantonal maturity certificate, 5 (gut/bien/bene) in English.