Professor Una McMahon-Beattie
Head of the Department of Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Belfast campus
- +44 28 7012 3994
Professor Una McMahon-Beattie is Head of Department for Hospitality and Tourism Management which includes the award winning restaurant, The Academy, Belfast and the Food and Consumer Testing Suits (FACTS), Coleraine.
Una studied Modern History at Queen’s University Belfast. In 1988 she completed an MSc in International Hotel Management University of Surrey, a PGCE in Research Methods of Human Science at Ulster University in 1996 and in 2009 a PhD in Revenue Management and Consumer Trust at the University of Gloucestershire.
She is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and is a Fellow of the University’s Centre for Higher Education and Research Practice.
Una joined the University in 1990 from working in luxury hotels in London. Her main research areas are revenue management, tourism and event marketing and tourism futures. She is the Deputy Editor of the Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management and a board member of the Journal of Tourism Futures.
Una has published extensively in leading journals and is author/co-editor of seven books including the ‘The Future of Events and Festivals’ and ‘The Future of Food Tourism: Foodies, Experiences, Exclusivity, Visions and Political Capital’. Recent research grants in the area of food include an investigation into the balance of healthy versus less healthy food promotions among Northern Ireland food retailers (Food Standards Agency) and the balance of healthy versus less-healthy food promotions among Republic of Ireland food retailers (safefood).
Una has been an external examiner at institutions both nationally and Internationally including the University of Surrey, the University of Bournemouth, University College Birmingham, Glion Institution of Higher Education (Switzerland) and most recently, EASM East Asia Institute of Management, Singapore. Nationally, Una is an Executive Member and Honorary Treasurer of the Council of Hospitality Management Education (CHME).
Showing 1 to 10 of 136 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Investigation into the balance of healthy versus less healthy food promotions among Republic of Ireland food retailersThe International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical ActivityDate: (2017)
- Consumers’ promotional buying decisions around healthy food: An application of the Theory of Planned BehaviourThe International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical ActivityDate: (2017)
- The eight turning points of revenue management: a brief history of future evolution.Date: (2017)
- TEACHING THE FUTURE: LEARNING STRATEGIES AND STUDENT CHALLENGESDate: (2017)
- How would you like your smalahove served?Date: (2017)
- The heritage tourist: an understanding of the visitor experience at heritage attractionsInternational Journal of Heritage StudiesDate: (2017)
- Active apps: using content curation apps to facilitate active engagement in flexible learning environmentsDate: (2017)
- Ping Pong in Phuket: The Intersections of Tourism, Porn and the FutureJournal of Tourism FuturesDate: (2017)
- The turning points of reveneu management:: A brief history of future evoluationJournal of Tourism FuturesDate: (2016)
- Keeping it Pure – A Pedagogical Case Study of Teaching Soft Systems Methodology in Scenario and PolicyAnalysisJournal of Tourism FuturesDate: (2016)