Dr Peter Smith
- School of Arts & Humanities
- Research Institute
- Irish and Celtic Studies Research Institute
- Magee campus
- +44 28 7167 5334
Peter Smith (Peadar Mac Gabhann) was appointed Lecturer in Irish at Ulster University in 2000.
He was previously employed as Assistant Professor in Irish at the Department of Classics and as a Research Fellow in Irish Studies at the Keough Institute, University of Notre Dame, Indiana.
Before moving to the United States, Dr. Smith held the position of Lecturer in Celtic at the Sprachwissenschaftfliches Institut der Universität Bonn.
He is a founding member of Éigse Cholm Cille, a society established to promote the study of the Irish literary heritage of the North West of Ireland and to encourage new writing in Irish.
He received his early education at the Christian Brothers Grammar School Omagh, and took his primary degree in Early and Modern Irish at Trinity College, Dublin. He also completed an M. Litt. in Early Irish at Trinity College, Dublin.
He studied for his doctorate in Celtic at the University of Oxford. Dr. Smith has held scholarships at Trinity College, Dublin; Jesus College, Oxford and the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies.
The Irish manuscript tradition.
Showing 1 to 10 of 27 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- An Historical Tract in Irish Relating to the Confederate Wars in IrelandStudia HibernicaDate: (2017)
- An historical tract in Irish relating to the confederate wars in IrelandStudia HibernicaDate: (2017)
- Writing in Irish in County Monaghan: Thirteen Hundred Years of TraditionMonaghan History and Society: Interdisciplinary Essays on the History of an Irish CountyDate: (2017)
- 'Seachrán Chairn tSiadhail': A Rambling Song about a Rambling ManDate: (2017)
- Guth an Iarthuaiscirt: Essays on Songs and Singing from the North-West of IrelandDate: (2016)
- Traidisiún Amhránaíocht na Gaeilge i dTír Eoghain san Fhichiú hAoisGuth an Iarthuaiscirt: Essays on Songs and Singing from the North-West of IrelandDate: (2016)
- • ‘Eochaid Úa Flainn’s Éitset Áes Ecna Aíbind and Medieval Irish Poetics’Adapting Texts and Styles in a Celtic Context. Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Processes of Literary Transfer in the Middle Ages. Studies in Honour of Erich Poppe. Studien und Texte zu Keltologie 13Date: (2016)
- Gaelic, Catholic and European: Irish Priests and Irish Colleges of Continental EuropeDissonant Voices: Faith and the Irish DiasporaDate: (2015)
- 'An Edition of Tigernmas mac Follaig aird'Date: (2015)
- Contending coarbs: Cindus fuair Mlaise in Bealach?Peritia - Journal of the Medieval Academy of Ireland,Date: (2014)