Professor Finbarr O'Harte
Professor of Endocrinology & Metabolism
Professor Finbarr O'Harte holds a BSc Hons and PhD from Queen’s University Belfast.
He was a Research Fellow at Creighton University, Omaha, USA (1989-91), University College Cork (1992-93) and Ulster University (1993-95) before taking up an academic appointment at Ulster University in 1995. He was promoted to Reader in 2000 and Professor of Endocrinology and Metabolism in 2005.
Finger is a patent holder and academic co-founder of Diabetica Limted, an Ulster University start-up company focused on innovative diabetes therapeutics.
He has over 180 peer-reviewed publications (h-index 37) with many presentations at national and international conferences and was recipient of the Nordisk Medal of the Irish Endocrine Society (2005). He currently holds the position of the President of the Irish Endocrine Society.
- Structurally modified peptides in therapy and drug development
- Regulatory peptides in control of feeding and obesity
- Incretin hormone analogues in diabetes therapy
- Hormone receptor modelling and NMR
- Glucagon receptor antagonists in diabetes therapy
- Diabetes Metabolism and Therapeutics
- Hormone Action
- Placement Tutor BSc Hons Food and Nutrition
- Module Co-ordinator for Biochemistry and Molecular Nutrition, Biochemical and Molecular Approaches to Nutrition