Skip to navigation Skip to content

Student Visitor visa

A Student Visitor visa will enable you to come to the UK if you are 18 years or older, and want to enter:

  • For up to 6 months to study a short course; or
  • For up to 11 months to study an English language course; or
  • If you are enrolled on a course abroad that is at least equivalent to the level of a UK bachelor's degree, you can enter for up to 6 months to do research, or to receive tuition on how to conduct research, at a UK institution.

As a student visitor, you must leave the UK on or before the date that your immigration permission ends. Student visitors are not allowed to apply to switch into any other immigration category while still in the UK.

If you wish to continue studying in the UK after your immigration permission as a student visitor has come to an end, you will need to return home and apply for entry clearance as a Tier 4 (General) student, or in another appropriate immigration category.

As a student visitor, you cannot do any kind of work or work placement during your studies. If you would like to work whilst studying, you will have to apply to enter the UK as a Tier 4 (General) student or in another appropriate immigration category instead.