Skip to navigation Skip to content

Short term study visa

A Short Term Study Visa will enable you to come to the UK if you are 18 years or older, and want to enter:

  • For up to 6 months to study a short course; or
  • For up to 11 months to study an English language course; or
  • If you are enrolled on a course abroad that is at least equivalent to the level of a UK bachelor's degree, you can enter for up to 6 months to do research, or to receive tuition on how to conduct research, at a UK institution.

You must leave the UK on or before the date that your immigration permission ends and are not allowed to apply to switch into any other immigration category while still in the UK.

If you wish to continue studying in the UK after your immigration permission has come to an end, you will need to return home and apply for an entry clearance as a Tier 4 (General) student, or in another appropriate immigration category.

As a student on short-term study visa, you cannot do any kind of work or work placement during your studies. If you would like to work whilst studying, you will have to apply to enter the UK as a Tier 4 (General) student or in another appropriate immigration category instead.

Check if you need to apply for a Short Term Study visa

Please check if you are required to apply for an Entry Clearance Certificate for Short Term Study Visa route by clicking on the following link

If you are required to apply for an Entry Clearance Certificate for a Short Term Study Visa, please click on the following link for further information on how you can make an application for a Short Term Study Visa

If you are NOT required to apply for an Entry Clearance Certificate for a Short Term Study Visa (confirmed by using the above link) before your arrival in the UK. You must ensure that the Border Force Officer (BFO) at the airport issues you with correct leave in the UK, you must provide and check the following:

  • Present all the relevant documentation from the University to the Border Force Officer with the passport and completed landing card
  • If asked, give clear details of the reason for travel i.e. short term study confirming the length of your course
  • Check the endorsement in the passport before leaving the officer’s desk and seek clarification of the endorsement if required
  • Leave for short term students is normally 6 month and is a single entry visa

Students arriving in Republic of Ireland and travelling on to the UK

If you are a non-visa national and enter the UK having departed from a port in the Republic of Ireland for the purpose of short-term study, therefore did not obtain a stamp on your arrival in the UK, you will be granted 3 months leave to enter in the UK. The 3 months deemed leave to enter the UK would start from the date you entered the UK evidenced by your ticket and/or boarding pass.

Please note that if your course is longer than three months we advise you to obtain Entry Clearance in your home country, before you arrive in the UK or you will be required to leave the UK and re-enter with a valid visa.